t h i r t y - o n e

「 my blood, sweat, and tears
my cold breath too
take it all away 」

「 my blood, sweat, and tearsmy cold breath tootake it all away 」

"This was not how I expected to reunite with you."

Soyeon turned to offer the new presence a small smile. "You speak for us both." Her tired eyes scanned his face. "I see you're fairing well? Are you still doing car races?"

"Absolutely not to both. Majoring in Geography actually takes up a lot of time and energy. What about you? Still in the motorcycle races?" the bleached-haired boy joined her at the parapet wall, staring out at the opposite building and into the single lit up room where Jeno's funeral was being held.

The two of them met during an illegal street race back when Taeyong was younger and interested in motorbikes. Back when he was a little less tired of life and a little more thirsty for thrills.

"Of course. Existing is expensive," she replied dryly.

Taeyong hummed his agreement, bobbing his head. "How are you doing?"

Soyeon gave him a look and he corrected his question.

"What are your plans now?"

She toyed with the ring on her index finger. "To leave. I can't stay here anymore, Yong. The stray Lee thugs are suddenly back and lurking around my area, looking for me. Looking to kill me." Her smile turned bitter. "Why is it so hard being a half-blood, Yong?"

Taeyong was silent at that. He counted his blessings that his father was closely affiliated to the main ruling Lee family, otherwise Lee Jinhyung would have had him ousted and killed the same way he always did with the tainted Lees. While Taeyong fortunately got away with his father's status, there were some who weren't as lucky. And two of the apparent some was Jeon Soyeon and her little brother. Their mother was a Lee, but not one anywhat branched from the core Lee family, so they were immediately ousted. Their parents were slaughtered, and the two siblings truly only got away by the skin of their teeth. The Lees stopped coming after them for a few years, seeming to have assumed that the both of them probably already died due to starvation or natural selection. But lately some of those same Lees seemed to have caught wind that the Jeon siblings were very much alive and well, and were stalking about looking for them.

"I didn't ask to be borned a taint," she continued mournfully. "Why should the action of parents be paid for by their children?"

Taeyong shifted uncomfortably. He often thought about this too, but hearing it come from someone else always hit different.

"Where do you plan to go?" he changed the topic. "Out of Seoul? Or out of South Korea as a whole?"

"Out of South Korea," she replied absently. "I'm going to miss it here, but it's time for a change."

"Have you told Seulgi?"

Soyeon shook her head. She didn't know how Taeyong found out about Seulgi and her, but she didn't ask. It was Lee Taeyong we were talking about, anyway. This bitch somehow knew everything.