Chapter 28

BIG NEWS!!!: the rewritten SLH is up on my account!! Of course, if you're interested in my super super old writing (from my teenage years), this story will still be on here. But the rewritten SLH will be newer and re-edited! I would so appreciate it if you went and checked it out <3

Thanks for getting me to 2K votes :)

Song in the media: Paperweight -Joshua Radin ft. Schuyler Fisk

Chapter 28

It's been almost a week since Kate and I had our fight. I still haven't had the guts to tell Will, but I've come to a conclusion that I'm going to tell him either today or tomorrow. Maybe Kate's right. Telling him will be a good thing.

I haven't talked to Kate since we last fought. At school when I pass her in the hallway or make eye contact with her, her eyes skim past me and she doesn't acknowledge me. Sometimes she would even look down at the ground, as if shunning me would make me disappear.

In my mind, I run through how I'm going to tell Will. Should I act happy? Tentative? Sad? I'm probably going to just go with the flow and see where it takes me. Hopefully it'll be a good thing and everything will turn out fine. All will be well if it isn't already.

It's a foggy Saturday morning and I'm still stressing over the fact that I still have so much stuff to do. Since winter is here, we're expecting some rain in the next few weeks.

I change out of my pajamas and into a pair of jeans and a large sweater. I throw my hair up into a high ponytail because the humidity outside will just make my hair frizzy. I don't really have any plans for today, seeing that I have no best friend with me. My only option is to talk to Will and get everything off my chest. My parents are out visiting friends, and I'm now realizing that they have a better social life than me.

At around ten in morning, the doorbell rings. I get out of my bed and look out the window, seeing no car in the driveway. Frowning, I walk downstairs and hear someone knocking on the door impatiently. Lacy starts to bark from the kitchen and I awkwardly creep my way to the door quietly. The knocking continues into slow desperate knocks. When I reach for the door knob, I hear a thud, as if someone just put all their weight on the door.

I stare out of the peephole and all I see is black. I unlock the door slowly, making minimal sounds. The knocking stopped, but someone is definitely still here.

In one quick motion, I twist the door knob and pull the door back. I let out a gasp as Will falls down to the ground on his back.

"Are you okay?" I exclaim as I reach out my hand to help him up.

He mutters something and disregards my hand, getting up himself.

"What's wrong?" I ask him.

"I need to talk to you," he says to me, fixing his wrinkled shirt. He doesn't look at me, but there is a hint of anguish in his expression.

"O-okay, where?" I ask him.

"Can we just—I don't know—take a walk or something?" he suggests, his gaze glued to the ground.

"Yeah—Sure."

<><><><><><> 

We get out of my house and start walking down our neighborhood. The tension between us is great and obviously something's up.

We stroll around in the cold air, a silent yet nervous tightness within the space between us. We don't talk to each other, but I'm waiting for him to talk to me first—since something's obviously bothering him.