Chapter 34

Ebuka POV

To say I was angry was an understatement. I was belligerent to my family most especially my friends. It was the weekend again and usually we hangout at Kelvin's place or we go and chill at Emmanuella's place either to study for an upcoming test or an exam. We had two WAEC exams left which were Mathematics and English and since we were branicas we didn't need the whole weekend to study like that. A couple hours would do but guess what my friends were suggesting - they were thinking of coming over to my house for study session on our last to papers.

Like are these people crazy because, what the heck! Even though we were to study, I knew we have to check out the location of the hospital — where Tomiwa was to be treated. Still, shouldn't that ring a bell in their head "abi kedu ihe but mkpofu a". What is all this rubbish? Now we all were siting in the living room because my stepdad and mom were not around. We were arguing like children for Godsake on which subject we should study first - English or Mathematics?

Our friend is in the hospital she needs us to be there for her and here they were, arguing on which note to read first. Not like the exam was tomorrow or next tomorrow — the exam was still one weeks away, one bloody week away but no. As per the scholars that we are, we were reading for the exams now.

"Mtcheew" I hissed but i didn't know it was loud enough for them to hear. They all stopped what they were doing and as everywhere went quiet, they all looked at me.

"Hey Ebuka. Is everything okay?" Emmanuella asked. Before she could open her month to ask another question or someone else could say anything else, I responded vehemently.

"No, it's not. Lets all go and pay a visit to Tomiwa." I said with all tone of finality in my voice. I left no room for objection. Even Faruq that wasn't always on my side gave a small smile in agreement. I smiled back in satisfaction that at least someone understood my plight. He cleared his throat to speak gaining everyone's attention as he said exactly what was on my mind.

"Are you not ashamed of yourselves? If you are not then you really should be. Tomwia was our friend for goodness sake. I mean we all liked her - well apart from me sha. I had my reservation about her but that is not the point. Yes she has been unreasonably out of shape the past few days before the whole running away things but at least, lets give her benefit of a doubt. For once I am on Ebuka's side here."

Everyone was quiet. Too quiet for my comfort as I watched their different facial expressions. I knew they were deep in thoughts. Lydia had her back turned to me as she faced Faruq so it was hard to tell her facial expression. Emmanuella had a lips quavering like she was trying not to cry as I could see how teary her eyes were. Kelvin pulled her up and took her to the hallway trying to pacify her and I looked away. I looked at Mercy, expecting her to say something but she just looked away playing with her finger. Seconds later Kelvin and Emmanuella came back and in that moment Mercy stood up packing her things.

"Where are you going?" Emma inquired from her friend but she didn't respond. She just continued packing her things and it was then it dawned on me what she was doing. Lydia and Faruq stood up as well packing the few things they brought. In that moment Mercy looked at me with a smile on her face before saying.

"We are ready when you are —"

"Lover boy." Lydia said interjecting a smirk on her lips and I chuckled shining my teeth at her. She wasn't wrong but saying it right now just made it weird. I picked up my grey hoodie with the emoji of black heart on it and wore it. Grabbing my wallet and phone putting it in the pockets of my hoodie, I turned off all appliance and shut down as we all made our way out.

"I'll drive, you direct." Kelvin said to me once we got to the car. I just nodded siting in front with him while the rest occupied the back seats.

The drive to the hospital was a quiet one. I could feel the tension emitting from everyone's body. It was obvious on Kelvin's face that he was scared especially with the way he was holding so tight to the steering wheel. Even I was scared as well, I was just really good at hiding it as I gave Kelvin the directions to the hospital.