•P r o l o g u e•

Song for prologue: Afire Love by Ed Sheeran

|Skyler|

You'd never know what you had until it's gone.

I'd barely ever given that thought much attention before. But in just a flash, it seemed all too real.

I stood on the porch in front of my house, my head perched on my hands as I admired the blazing orange and yellow sky while sun set beyond the horizon. It was a breezy afternoon and the wind combed through my the strands of my hair, rustling the leaves of the birch tree next to the porch. The smell of freshly mown grass from my neighbour's lawn drifted up my nose.

It was like any summer day in Canada. I was waiting for my mom to return on her weekly grocery run after work.

The cars zoomed by my house in a blur, carrying passengers that were in a hurry to get home to their families, or to pig out in front of the television. I rolled my eyes, all of them were going at least more than ten over the speed limit, and in a residential area.

My lips twitched upwards when I noticed my mom's car pull up smoothly on the driveway. She got out of the car, giving me a small wave and a gentle smile before heading to the trunk to pick up the groceries, her long, wavy blonde hair flowing behind her back.

My mom was a natural beauty, and I was reminded of that more often than ever. Men fell at her feet almost, with her long blonde hair, and blue eyes that looked turquoise in the sun. I was the complete opposite of her, with dark brown hair and dark eyes. I looked just like my dad as I was always told. I personally would never know. He'd died before I was born, leaving just me and my mom. It was unfortunate but at least I had her.

Reluctantly, I pushed myself up from my comfortable position on the porch and skipped down the porch steps to give my mom a hand.

"I already did the laundry and folded all the clothes," I called out to her, smiling at her relieved expression. Though she didn't show it, her eyes were heavy with fatigue.

My mom worked a lot, overtime at least three times a week at her office job, and I knew she only worked this much to support the both of us. The least I could do was the chores around the house.

She worked and saved up for my future since I'd always wanted to go into business school for university. My dad had been an accountant, and somehow, that made the job all the more special to me.

"Thank you, sweetheart," she sighed, as she swung open the trunk behind her car. Her face brightened up immediately after. "I did the calculations at work today, and we saved up enough to try out that new Italian restaurant for my birthday. The one that's rated five stars."

"Oh my gosh, seriously?" I beamed. "I love you mom," I couldn't help but squeal at the last part.

My foot hit the pavement below the porch just as a blaring horn sounded from a truck barreling down the road. It swerved haphazardly to the right, towards the car. My excitement died down in a blink of an eye as dread filled my gut.