•C h a p t e r T h i r t y - N i n e•

Song for chapter thirty nine: Out of My Hands by SHY Martin

|Aden|

I stormed off to the end of the hallway, leaving Skyler on her own near the bathroom as I walked. I could just about hear the blood rushing through my veins. I exited the school through the back doors, finally inhaling a deep breath as I leaned against the wall, not realizing until then how much my jaw ached from being clenched for so long.

My thoughts were temporarily interrupted by the voices of a few students who were smoking and doing something that definitely wasn't allowed on school property.

My chest grew heavy as my mind replayed the conversation we had in the hallway. A stab of guilt coursed through me as I remembered how I had raised my voice at Skyler, and how I'd stormed out. I wanted run back there and tell her that I didn't mean to get so angry and apologize and that we could talk through it, but then my feet would stay rooted where they were when I recalled the reason why Skyler was so uncomfortable. She didn't trust me around McKenna.

What was the point of a relationship without trust? There wasn't one.

I didn't want to lose her but if there wasn't trust in a relationship, what other way was there? I just didn't understand it. I hadn't ever looked at another girl since I met Skyler, she'd had me falling over my feet for her since day one — since the subway.

McKenna was my friend, even though I had gone a good two years without talking to her. She had told me a fair share of her secrets, including the fact that her family had been involved in some shady business years ago. Inside trading, exploiting their workers, you name it.

We'd hooked up three years ago though McKenna and I agreed afterwards that we would remain friends. I felt nothing for her.

My phone rang loudly in my pocket, piercing through the air. That earned me a glare from the students near me as they smoked their joint. I dug out my phone, ready to decline the call from Skyler, knowing that I wouldn't be able to talk with her in a civil manner when I was this infuriated. I stopped short when I realized it was from a number I couldn't recognize.

"Who is this?" I asked as I brought my phone up to my ear.

"Aden."

I pushed myself off the wall, puzzled when I heard a familiar voice from the other line. A voice that I hadn't heard in years, and had longed to hear until I realized that I never would again.

My mom.

"What do you want?" I hissed.

"I need to speak with you, please just for a few minutes," she sounded desperate.

"Yeah, well that's long overdue," I shot back, hanging up the phone.

I sighed, my eyes scanning over the bright blue sky, lined with clouds that created images I couldn't decipher. My brain betrayed me as it replayed Skyler's words in my mind from Saturday. Its better to regret going than to regret not going. I let out another heavy sigh, earning another glare from the smokers next to me. As much as I was still angry at Skyler, she was right.