•C h a p t e r T w o•

Song for chapter two: Too Sad to Cry by Sasha Sloan

|Skyler|

That wasn't the last time I saw the dark haired boy.

Every single day since I moved to New York I met up with Aunt Claire at the law firm she worked at for lunch. After, I took it upon myself after to visit the sights of New York — for myself and also because I knew my mom would've loved to see them. I visited the Statue of Liberty and Central Park for my mom, because she could never see them herself.

I was getting used to the way the Subway worked, and the fact that no one apologized for bumping into another by accident —except for the occasional person—or how no one opened the door for another on the way in to a store or restaurant.

I didn't want to say that I was acting like a stereotypical Canadian, but it sure felt like it.

All of this served as a constant reminder that I was no longer back home anymore. I wished I could say things were getting better, but every single day I woke up, disappointed and it all came pummelling down on me again that I was in my new room at Aunt Claire's apartment, rather than back home. Every night I'd hope to wake up in my old bed and realize that it was all a dream, but every morning I'd get slapped in the face by reality.

The one thing I could get used to however, was the fact that I saw the same dark haired boy every single day. I always took the subway at the same time — about twelve o'clock every day — and boarded it at the same stop. Hypothetically I got into the same car too since I waited at the same platform.

For a whole month, he was always there, scrutinizing me some days with his dark brown eyes, other days he smiled. But not once had he ever said a word to me.

I hopped onto the same subway line on the way to Aunt Claire's law firm, like I always did, except this time the car was filled to the brim with people, more so than usual. I realized immediately how stuffy the car felt, and the slightly putrid smell of sweat drifted up my nose. To add to that, it was irritating how there wasn't enough room for me to get ahold of a rail. It felt oddly empty that I had to stand holding onto nothing.

I huffed in exasperation, spreading apart my legs just slightly to increase my centre of gravity so I didn't fall smack on my face when the subway started. But who was I kidding, even if I fell, I'd fall on someone else considering how packed this car was today.

To my disappointment, from all the people that were in the car with me, I couldn't spot the dark haired boy. My stomach dropped at the fact that today would be the first day I'd have gone without seeing him on the way to meet my aunt.

Everything was smooth, but just as I was about to praise myself for not falling over, the subway slowed to a stop to allow for others to hop on at a different station.