•E p i l o g u e•

Songs for epilogue: 1

Songs for epilogue:
1. What If by Colbie Caillat
2. Paper Rings by Taylor Swift
3. Invisible String by Taylor Swift

|Skyler|

~Five years later~

You'd never know what you had until it's gone. That much was clear.

The one thing that I'd learned throughout these years was that you should treasure every single moment with those you love.

Years from now, or if they're no longer with you, those would be the moments you looked back on. Those would be the moments that would bring a smile to your face when things got tough. Those would be moments you'd remember at the most random times.

And it would be okay to remember them.

Grief can come in many forms. Some say that the grief over losing someone you love eases away with time, and that it would get easier. That the huge weight on your shoulders would just disappear as you went on with life.

That was not completely true, I knew that now.

You might believe that a certain someone could patch up the gaping holes, to make you brand new again. But ultimately, it was up to no one but you do to just that.

Of course, everyone would inevitably have to carry on with their lives. But you might find that the hole in your heart where that person used to be would stay empty. Some days, it might hit worse. You might feel completely overwhelmed as you feel every part of the gaping hole within you. As if you were trying to break the surface of the ocean, kicking as hard as you could but nothing you did seemed to matter. Other days, you could barely feel it.

Then, the memory of the person would become hazy. The image of them, of course, would linger, but it would be distant. The only thing we would have to turn to were photographs and our own memories. That was what happened to me over the years. It was a good thing the memory of my mom's spirit stayed vivid in my mind.

It took time — for me months but for others years and decades — to accept my mom's death. Death was a hard pill to swallow for anyone, like it or not.

I stayed true to the promise I made to my mom that day in the cemetery: that I would live my life the way I wanted to, and the way my mom would've wanted me to. As well, the fact that it wasn't wrong in any way to live happily without her. That was what helped me move on the most.

It would get bad some nights, when all I can seem to think about was my mom and some form of insomnia would take over. But during those times Aden was always there.