•C h a p t e r F o u r•

Song for chapter four: You Don't Know What It's Like by Katelyn Tarver

|Skyler|

Right when I walked into the cafeteria I spotted Aden. He was already sitting at a table near the door, with a group of guys that of course, I'd never seen before. He looked up as I walked in, his dark eyes meeting mine again. The fleeting glance caused my cheeks to heat up.

The cafeteria looked just like any other I'd seen, with long rectangular tables lined in rows and the far end was the cafe.

"Skyler, over here!" I looked towards the sound of my name and saw Josie waving her hand frantically above her head to get my attention. I let out a relieved sigh, making my way over to the table before sitting down next to her. "Guys, this is Skyler," I looked around the table at the other two girls.

"Hey, I'm Esther," the girl with platinum blonde hair, and thick rimmed glasses introduced herself with a bright smile. "This is Paige," she nodded over to the dark haired petite girl next to her who only gave me a small smile in return.

"It's nice to meet you guys," I said as I opened up the sandwich that I had made hastily this morning.

"You packed your own lunch?" Josie asked me curiously, eyeing my container.

"Oh yeah, I didn't know that everyone got theirs from here..." I glanced at the trays filled with chicken fingers and an apple in front of Paige and Esther. Back home, my mom always packed my lunch, and having to do it this morning myself reminded me of my new reality.

"Yeah we do, it comes with the little tuition that we pay. So it's all free for us," Paige explained. "So, where are you from?"

"Ontario, Canada," I answered with a smile.

Esthers eyes immediately danced with excitement. "Oh my gosh, I've always wanted to go to Canada!" she said as if New York was in a different continent. "Is everyone actually really polite?"

I shrugged, but then I thought back to the amount of times I'd been run over by people in the subway station and how barely any of them apologized, or how on top of that, no one held the door for each other on the way into a building.

"Yeah... I guess," I ended up saying.

"I saw this thing on Instagram where Canadians put maple syrup on ice and eat it, is that true?" Josie laughed.

I nodded, suppressing a laugh, "Yes thats actually true. It's really good though."

Esther went on about how Canada seemed like dreamland compared to New York. I wouldn't completely agree, after all, the subway system and all the tall skyscrapers seemed pretty extravagant to me. But that might just be my inner tourist talking. Now though, it just seemed like home reminded me too much of what I'd lost.