•C h a p t e r T w e n t y - S i x•

Song for chapter twenty six: Ring by Selena Gomez

|Skyler|

Within an hour, we had all been settled into our rooms and had changed into a new set of clothes, suitable for our first activity: kayaking. To me it was my blue raincoat and a pair of leggings. Aden's room was on a separate floor, as were all the guys' rooms. The few girls in the class were on the highest floor. It was totally intentional on Mr. Woods' part.

The only other people there were couples on a getaway or families with small children who didn't have school to miss.

My room was truly beautiful, rivalling that of a five star hotel. The bathroom consisted of a large jacuzzi tub and also a stand up glass shower, on the ceiling was a large shiny chandelier. The room contained a double bed, a large television and a refrigerator. There was even a balcony that overlooked the mountains and a river. Everything about the room was elegant, from its wallpaper, all the way to the paintings they had hanging on the walls. It was way too big for one person to have for themselves.

I met with the group at the front where the bus had stopped just an hour before, surprised to see that most of the class was already there.

The hotel we were staying in was near the national park that our hike would take place. Thankfully, hiking wasn't the only thing there was to do here.

I spotted Aden and Ryan with little effort, so I maneuvered my way there, seeing as how I was barely acquainted with the others in the class. Besides Austin of course, but we don't talk about him anymore, not after that party.

"Hey," I greeted Aden as he turned to face me with a crooked grin. "How was your room?"

"The best thing I'd ever stepped into," Aden replied. "The only bad thing about it is that I have to share with that idiot." He motioned to Ryan, who shot him an offended look as he chewed on a granola bar. Since there were nearing thirty guys in the class, they all had to share a room to reduce the costs, but since there were so little females, we each had our own room.

"I'm the best thing that's ever happened to you," Ryan pouted. "Besides, we get to miss conditioning for soccer practice. Coach can kiss my ass."

For good measure, Ryan smacked his backside.

Mr. Woods came out in that moment and ushered us all toward the lake where we'd be kayaking. It was a short walk to the lakeside, past a few houses that housed mostly retired couples, and a few souvenir shops. I was sure Aunt Claire would like a keychain.

Ryan slung an arm around my shoulder as we walked, cutting in between Aden and I, "So, I kind of need your help for something," Ryan started, his voice wavered compared to his usual confident, bubbly self.

"What is it?" I asked.

"So I'm sort of planning to ask Josie out..." Ryan began and I looked past his shoulders to shoot Aden an ecstatic look, which he returned with his infamous smirk that made my heart skip a beat. "But I don't know if she likes romantic, or like something chill. I just want her to say yes, but I also wanna make it hard for her to want to say no, you know?"