•C h a p t e r E i g h t e e n•

Song for chapter eighteen: I Think He Knows by Taylor Swift

|Skyler|

I pulled the sleeves of my thick hoodie over my hands and wrapped my arms around myself. Even though it was only nearing October, it was already beginning to get cold. Not that it was unbearable, but the wind was really adding to it.

Josie's teeth chattered next to me and I couldn't help but wonder how she would ever survive the winters if she went to Canada with me. Josie was invited by Ryan, which resulted in an ear splitting squeal when she told me over the phone last night.

We were at the first soccer game of the season, against a school —who's name I forgot — Josie said was one of our biggest rivals. One of them. So there must be way more to watch out for this season. Our school was the one hosting this game so it would be embarrassing if we lost.

From the cheers and groans that sounded from the students from Cypress High, I could tell the opposing school was quite the rival. Maybe I was still too new to this school, but I didn't feel compelled to see the opposing team crushed like Josie was. It would be nice to have Aden win, that was all.

The stands were also split into two sides, our side and the other side which sat students from the other school.

To be honest, I had no clue what was even going on. I'd never watched soccer before, so all I knew was that we just had to score points in the opposite team's net. Aden had mentioned that he was an attacking midfielder, which was all sort of just jiberish to me. I think he scored the goals though.

Which would make sense cause the bruise on my cheek stayed there for a week or two after the hit in gym class.

"So you guys kissed again but aren't dating yet?" Josie repeated what I told her about last night at Aden's house, her eyes trained on the field, darting around to spot Ryan. "And he even asked you to come to the game?"

Truthfully the kiss was even better than the first time at the masquerade ball, but I didn't even think to ask Aden what it meant about us and what we were, mostly because I didn't want to ruin such a beautiful moment.

"Yeah," I grimaced at her reiteration. "Is that bad?"

She shrugged, "I mean, not necessarily."

"What if he likes someone else?" I frowned, staring at the game. For some reason they were having a timeout, and I could hear faintly the coach from the rival team shouting at his students. So far the score was 2-1 for our school.

"Trust me, he doesn't," Josie told me, with her eyes on Ryan. "I haven't seen him look at anyone like you looks at you, and I went to the same junior high as him. And he invited you over to his house like twice!"

"But he still hasn't asked me to wear his sweatshirt for the last game."

"I'm sure he's just waiting for the right time. I mean, he can't just blurt it out randomly," Josie said knowingly. There was a good chance she was right, I was just scared that he'd blurt it out at random to Ava or another girl who was way prettier than me.