•C h a p t e r T h i r t y - T w o•

Song for chapter thirty two: Strange Love by Halsey

|Skyler|

"I can't believe it's Monday already," I sighed heavily, peering out the window from the passenger's seat at Aden's car. This morning he'd insisted that he would come pick me up from my house after he left the hospital, even though I was fine with walking to school like I had been for the past two months.

His bruise was barely prominent and I assumed that Aden covered it up with some sort of make up.

"Only four days left," Aden cringed as he got out of the car. His body was still rigid as he stepped out, and it was clear he didn't want to talk about his dad.

"Wait, I almost forgot," I grabbed the coffee cup that sat in the cup holder as I shut my own door behind me. "I made you an espresso," I grinned proudly at my own handiwork that I'd whipped up in the few minutes I had at the apartment this morning. I hoped it would somehow make his day better.

His eyes darted from the cardboard cup in my hand and then back to me. "Thanks Clumsy," his lips twitched up in a small smile.

"So... is your dad okay?" I asked, glancing over at Aden cautiously. I'd spent much of the morning worrying for Aden, hoping that his dad would be fine. I knew first hand how bad it hurt to lose a parent — and how much it still hurt — and even though they had their differences, Aden only had his dad to lean onto.

His face was void of any emotion. "He'll be fine, he's used to it at least," he almost spat the last part out. He seemed unbothered, but maybe it was because this had happened many times before.

"Was it just minor injuries?" I pressed on, letting my curiosity take over.

"The guys who busted into the apartment jumped him on the street. He's got some bruises and a minor concussion," he explained as we began walking. "He said he was just about to pay them back bit by bit, like that'd actually happen."

Aden was hell bent on the fact that his dad wouldn't change, but there was no way he wouldn't. Not when his gambling addiction had now seriously gone out of hand.

We headed towards the school, climbing up the steps as he slipped his hand into mine. My heart skipped a beat as we made it to the front steps.

I gripped onto his hand tighter, "He will pay it back." I didn't know for sure, but after what just happened, his dad would be an idiot not to.

"Yeah, he will if he's smart. At least he still has a real job outside of being a gambler," he shook his head, sighing. "How can you love and hate someone at the same time?"

That was a good question. One that may never be answered. Aden pushed open the door, letting me in first before following after.

"Will those men come back?" I couldn't hide my shaky voice.