•C h a p t e r T h i r t y - S i x•

Song for chapter thirty six: You Got Me by Colbie Caillat

|Skyler|

I fell back onto my bed with a thud groaning in annoyance at the math homework on my desk. Josie and I were on the phone with her just about in tears because she couldn't figure out our assignment. Explaining to her how to correctly complete the questions was more exhausting than physically doing it.

The house was eerily quiet today, with Aunt Claire at work even though it was a Saturday, not that I was complaining about the fact that I had the house to myself. It saved me from having to look presentable; I was still in my pyjamas.

My phone buzzed next to me, and I sat back up on my bed, half expecting it to be another question that Josie had.

I picked my phone up to see a message from Aden: I'm picking you up in half an hour, dress for the weather :)

I frowned slightly at the text. Half an hour?

Not nearly enough time to get myself ready, not when I looked as if I'd just woken up. I glanced up at the clock, realizing that I'd already wasted a minute sitting on my bed.

I scrambled out of my room and into the bathroom, almost cringing when I caught a glance at myself the mirror. My hair was frizzier than usual, like a birds nest on the top of my head even though I had brushed it when I woke up.

I jumped into the shower and managed to make it back to my room within a few minutes to pull on my clothes.

Perks to being home alone: walking around the house naked.

Finally, after taking my closet apart, I settled on a pair of black jeans and a thick parka overtop since winter was finally arriving. Underneath, I threw on a random sweater I dug up from the bottom of my drawers since I realized no one would see it under my jacket anyways.

I let out a scream when I glanced over at the time and realized that I had ten minutes before Aden would get here. I was relieved to see that my hair had begun to dry decently, so I put on a layer of mascara and finished just in time to see a text from Aden saying that he was downstairs.

I stepped out of my apartment building, the frigid air numbing my cheeks almost immediately as I stepped into Aden's car. To my relief, he had the heat on full blast.

"Hey Clumsy," he leaned over to me, pressing a kiss onto my cheek. I glanced over at him when he pulled away, my face heating up as I rubbed my clammy hands onto my jeans, trying to pretend as though Aden's outfit wasn't making as flustered as I was. He sported a pair of black sneakers, dark jeans and a grey hoodie underneath a jean jacket. His hair was combed back like usual, though for some weird reason I was feeling more nervous than normal.