•C h a p t e r S i x•

Dedicated to The_Imagined_Voice

Song for chapter six: Feelings by Lauv

|Aden|

I was never one to attend school organized functions, and especially not a school dance, or a ball as student council put it. I just didn't find wearing a suffocating suit and pinchy shoes, or having a bunch of girls asking me to dance on a Friday night all that appealing.

Now however, the idea of it seemed more and more intriguing.

When I finally received my food from the lunch line, I made my way over to the table my friends and I always sat at. The cafeteria was dull, with a dozen or so round tables scattered around the area. Not that anyone could actually sit at another table that wasn't 'designated' as theirs.

I looked at my best bud Ryan, who was already stuffing his mouth full of the school cafeteria's French fries. His bright blonde hair and lean build was easily recognizable.

The guy was as lucky as they came, both his parents were supportive and active in his life. They attended every single soccer game or school function he had. They treated me like their own son whenever I came over to his house. His older brother was just like my own.

Ryan had drenched them in ketchup rather than dipping the fries into it like a normal person.

"You know, that's really nasty," I told him, my nose crinkling slightly.

Ryan swallowed, "Perspective."

I rolled my eyes, "Where's everyone else?" Usually we sat with three others — Josh, Nate and Chris.

"They went to McDonald's, something about the cafeteria fries being disgusting," Ryan explained as he stuffed more ketchup drenched fries into his mouth. "Which doesn't make sense to me, cause like, food is food you know. So I decided, like the awesome friend that I am, to stay with you." he waved his fork at me, grinning.

I raised a skeptical eyebrow, "Really? You turned down McDonald's?"

"Okay fine. They left me while I was in the bathroom," he frowned. He opened his mouth to defend himself further, but before he could say anything, a nasal voice interrupted him.

"Hey Aden," Ava greeted as she sat down, flashing her pearly white smile in my direction, "I assume you've heard about the masquerade ball," she began, flipping a golden lock over her shoulder.