Chapter 5

Ten months later

Ivy huffed as she ran through the Maze. Her feet barely touched the ground as she sped through the corridors. Turning a corner, the girl slid to a stop, glaring at what was before her.

A solid stone wall.

"Shuck," she muttered.

Ivy turned back around and started back the way she had come. She needed to be heading back to the Glade before the doors closed. As she ran back towards the doors, subconsciously taking turns here and there, a sudden thought came to her.

It was Greenie Day.

Every month, someone new was sent up through the Box to the Glade, each one with no memories and scared as heck. What made the girl smile slightly was the thought of what was to come that night after the Maze doors closed. There would be a large bonfire to celebrate the Greenie's arrival. The Gladers had made it a tradition to throw a party for the Greenie, as a way to welcome them to their new life and introduce them to everyone. The bonfires had started off small, but as more and more boys came up in the Box, the more exciting the parties were.

Before she knew it, Ivy had made it back to the Glade. The girl slowed to a jog as her feet touched the grass of the Glade. As she headed towards the Map Room, she could see Alby giving the new Greenie the tour. Alby looked up and waved slightly to her. Ivy waved back before disappearing into the woods.

The girl walked into the Map Room and grabbed a sheet of paper. She quickly mapped out the route she had taken that day. Once she had finished, she sighed, placing her map in a box. She turned to look down at the model of the Maze that the Runners were working to make.

Ivy closed her eyes, not really wanting to try and figure everything out right now. She had to worry about the rest of her Runners getting back safely and finishing their maps. Every Runner had to make their maps before they were allowed to do anything else.

Within the next hour, Ivy greeted the Runners - Newt, Adam, and Justin - upon their return. As Keeper, she required them to be back in the Glade thirty minutes prior to the doors closing. For obvious safety reasons.

"You guys ready for the bonfire tonight?" Ivy asked as she and the three male Runners walked back towards the Homestead.

"Always," Adam replied with a smirk. "Can't wait to see the new Greenie."

"You say that every time we get someone new," Justin pointed out.

"Just try not to get them drunk on whatever that stuff Gally makes," Newt added. "You got Dmitri so bloody drunk on that stuff he couldn't work the next day."

Adam laughed, raising his hands in mock surrender.

"Guilty as charged," he chuckled.

The four came up on the Homestead to find it busy with activity. Gladers were rushing around to help prepare for the party.

"You shanks help collect wood for the fire," Ivy said. "I'm going to go find Alby."

The boys nodded and went off to help the others. Ivy looked around for her friend, finally spotting him walking towards her. Meeting him halfway, she gave him a smile.

"So how's the Greenie holding up?" she asked.

"Pretty well," Alby replied. "Scott's keeping him company for now. He seems to be handling everything better than some of the others had. Slightly freaked out by the fact he can't remember his name, but he seemed pretty calm once we got him out of the Box."

Ivy nodded.

"Any idea what his job's going to end up being?"

"Not yet. Shank looks like he's got what it takes to be a builder, but mentally, I'm thinking not. We'll just have to see for tomorrow." He paused. "How was the run?"

"Long. Same result." Alby looked at the ground. "Hey, we'll get through this. Otherwise, why put a way out? We're going to solve the Maze. I know it."

Alby gave Ivy a small smile, his way of thanking her.

"Come on," he said. "We need to get ready for the bonfire."

~

"Light 'em up!" Alby shouted.

The Keepers threw their lighted spears into the large wood stack. Everyone let out a joyful cry when the wood caught fire, the flames rising into the sky. Ivy smiled at the happy Gladers around her. After grabbing her dinner from Frypan, the Keeper of the Cooks, she sat down several feet away from the bonfire. Boys danced, cheered, ate, and joked around the fire. Those who were eating sat with their work groups, including Adam, Justin, and Newt. Before the three became Runners, Justin used to be a Bricknick, Newt was a Track-Hoe, and Adam had been a Slicer. The boys had proved themselves worthy to be Runners. Upon Ivy's request, they had trained to become Runners, allowing more eyes in the Maze to search for a way out.

Setting her now empty plate beside her, Ivy simply glanced around at the Gladers, smiling slightly at them all. After a while, Newt came over to her and the two chatted about anything they could think of.

"Ivy! Newt!" The two looked up to see Alby and an unfamiliar looking boy walking towards them.

Must be the new Greenie, Ivy thought as they came closer.

"Greenie, this is Ivy and Newt," Alby introduced. "Guys, this is the new Greenie."

Newt smiled a little and held out his hand. The new Glader looked a little cautious but shook the Runner's hand.

"Welcome to the Glade," he said. "Glad to see you made it through the first day."

"Thanks," the boy said.

"I'm going to leave you guys alone for a bit," Alby said. "Let you get to know one another."

With that, the Glader leader walked away. Ivy looked up at the Greenie before her. He was well built and around her height. His hair was dark and appeared to be spiked a little in the front.

"Why don't you have a seat?" Ivy offered, motioning to the empty spot beside her. The boy nodded and sat down beside her. "How was day one?"

He shrugged.

"It's a lot to take in," was his short reply.

"Always is," Newt agreed. "Though from what I've been told, you've handled everything much better than others."

"What do you mean?"

"Some shanks end up klunking their pants."

"What?"

Ivy offered an explanation: "Basically, not remembering anything freaks them out so bad that they need a new pair of pants."

"Oh. You people have some weird words for things."

"You don't know the half of it," Newt said. "You'll get used to it though. Believe me."

A sudden chorus of cries caused the three to turn their attention to their fellow Gladers. The group of boys were standing in a circle, cheering. Ivy exchanged looks with the boys on either side of her before standing up and walking towards the circle. Newt and the Greenie followed after her, curious as well.

Standing in the center of the circle was Gally, a Newbie from several months back but also the Keeper of the Builders. Another Glader charged at Gally, but the boy knocked him down. The boy tried to get back up but Gally pushed him out of the circle, causing the Gladers to cheer.

"What is he doing?" the Greenie asked.

"Gally seems to have started a sparring competition," Ivy said, crossing her arms. They watched as Gally threw another boy out of the ring, causing more cheering. "Shank's getting cocky."

Newt looked at her.

"You think you could beat him?" he questioned.

"The guy is almost half a foot taller than I am, Newt." She paused to smirk. "I wouldn't want to damage his ego."