Chapter 41

Newt changed a quick look with his friends before climbing out of the truck. He and the other Gladers, as well as their new allies Jorge and Brenda, had been picked up by a group of people in the mountains. Like Thomas had said days ago, they were found by mountain people.

They found themselves in a camp. Small structures were constructed around the area, and vehicles were parked as well. There were several dozen people around, their numbers reaching maybe fifty. However, everyone seemed to be doing something, doing what they could to pitch in and help wherever they were needed.

"They've been planning this for over a year now," Harriet, one of the girls from Aris's maze said. "This is all for us."

"You guys are lucky you found us when you did," Sonya added. "We're moving out at first light. Where's Vince?" she called to someone passing by.

"Somewhere over there, I think," the man said.

"Who's Vince?" Thomas asked.

"He's the one who decides if you get to stay," Harriet replied.

"I thought the Right Arm was supposed to be an army," Minh said, looking at the people around them.

"Yeah we were," a new voice said. The group stopped to look at the owner of the voice. A man with shaggy hair and a beard approached them. "This is all that's left of us. A lot of good people died getting us this far. Who are they?" the man questioned, looking at Harriet.

"They're immunes," she told them. "Caught them coming up the mountain."

"Did you check them?"

"I know this guy, Aris. I trust him."

"Well I don't don't. Check them."

A man stepped forward, glancing amongst them, though his gaze came to rest on Brenda. The girl's skin almost looked grey and her lips were slightly blue. Her breathing was heavy and slightly labored.

"Hey boss," he said just before Brenda collapsed to the ground.

"Brenda!" Jorge said in alarm.

"What's going on?" Vince asked, stepping forward.

"Talk to me," Jorge said, trying to get Brenda to focus, but the girl just kept apologizing.

"What's going on with her?"

"I don't know. Brenda, are you all right?"

"What the h*ll?" Vince peeled away the bandage around her leg before jumping away quickly. "Oh sh*t. Crank! We got a crank." He pulled out a gun and aimed it at Brenda.

"No!" Thomas said, jumping in the way. "Wait!"

The other Gladers gathered around Brenda, trying to keep her away from Vince and to make sure she was okay. Two men had grabbed Jorge and were restraining him so he couldn't get to the girl.

"Move out of the way!" Vince said.

"This just happened! She's not dangerous yet!"

"Well you shouldn't have brought her here!"

"I know."

"We let Cranks in here now, Safe Haven won't last a week. Get back!"

"I understand. I understand, all right? Just listen to me, please. Please, okay? I promised her you could help. There's got to be something you can do."

Vince didn't speak for several moments. The only noise that could be heard in the tense air was Brenda's heavy breathing.

"Yeah, there is," he eventually said. He readied his gun. "I can put her out of her misery."