Chapter 17

Two and a half years later

"So where are you guys going today?"

"We're probably only going a mile or so out and look through that area again. No use wasting our energy going to the outer section of the Maze."

Ivy nodded as she stood beside Minho, their hands intertwined. They had gone to the wall earlier so they could talk before Minho went on his run.

"Make sure you keep an eye on the Greenie," Minho said. "I want to hear about the dumb things he does when I get back."

"I'll tell you at the bonfire then."

"Are we ready to run, or do you two lovebirds need another minute?" The two turned to find Ben walking up to them, a smirk on his face. Ivy rolled her eyes at the comment.

"Morning to you too, Ben," Ivy said. A second later, the doors groaned and started to open. She squeezed Minho's hand before pulling away. "I'll see you guys later."

The two boys nodded and darted into the Maze, but not before Minho sent Ivy a small wink. The girl laughed to herself, shaking her head as she walked to the Mess Hall to grab breakfast. The reason she wasn't running today was simple. It was a Greenie Day. Every Greenie Day, Ivy took a day or two off to help the Newbie adjust. She figured it would be good to have someone around who wasn't constantly picking on the Greenie.

Ivy greeted Frypan as she took a plate and filled it with breakfast. Snatching a piece of fruit as well, Ivy walked to where a familiar curly haired boy was sitting.

"Good morning, Chuck," she said as she plopped down across from him.

"Hey, Ivy," the boy replied happily. Chuck had come up in the Box last month, scared out of his mind; the guys hadn't been able to get him about of the Box. Ivy had to go into the Box herself and convince him to come out, which still took some time but in the end she was more successful than the guys had been.

"You ready for Greenie Day?"

"Absolutely. Now I won't be the Greenie anymore. I can show the new guy the ropes."

"He'll be lucky to have you, Chuck."

The boy smiled at her, making Ivy smile back. Ivy loved Chuck. He was like a little brother to her. When Chuck first showed up, some of the older Gladers made fun of him. Ivy had stepped in and told the boys to shuck off and leave the kid alone. She had even taken a couple extra days off from running to keep Chuck company and help him get used to life in the Glade. Since that, Chuck was almost always by Ivy's side when she wasn't in the Maze, or with Minho.

"Morning, you two." Ivy and Chuck looked up as Newt approached them, sitting beside them. "Excited for today?"

Chuck nodded while Ivy smiled. The three friends chatted away, talking about everything and nothing all at once. Once they finished eating, they gave their dishes back to Frypan and walked outside to get ready for the Greenie's arrival.

~

"So what do you think the new Greenie will be like?" Chuck asked.

"Not sure," Ivy replied, slicing a pepper. "Each guy is different."

"Do you think he'll like me?"

Ivy paused her work to look at Chuck, who was sitting on table close by, working on a small figurine.

"I can't think of anyone who doesn't like you, Chuck. No one has a reason too. Listen, if you're there for this Newbie and you keep him company, I'm sure you two will be good friends."