Chapter 29

The ride seemed to last for far too long. Ivy's legs were growing stiff from staying in one position for too long. Not only was she uncomfortable, but it was also dark out. Another reminder of how long she had been stuck in her uncomfortable position. Her tears had long since stopped; the only evidence of them were the tears stains on her face. Around her, some of her friends were asleep. Thomas was practically lying on the floor as he slept.

Suddenly, a light flashed in through the window. Ivy quickly sat up when she heard distant shouting and alarms. Her movement caused Minho and Newt to both wake up. Soon enough, the others were waking up as well.

"What's going on?" Newt asked the guard with them.

"We're coming in for a landing," he responded. "Once we're on the ground, you all need to run to the doors. You'll be safe inside. Believe me when I say you don't want to stay outside."

The group waited anxiously for the craft to land. Soon enough, they felt the machine start to lower toward the ground. The teens got ready to do as they had been told. Ivy glanced at her friends to make sure they were ready, only to notice that Thomas was still asleep.

"Thomas," she said, kicking him slightly with her foot. "Come on, Greenie, wake up."

"How is he still asleep?" Frypan muttered, though no one answered him.

The aircraft lurched as it suddenly touched the ground. Someone on the outside pulled open the door, motioning for the teens to get out. Winston, Frypan, and Teresa were the first to move.

"We have to wake Thomas!" Newt said over the sound of the propellers.

"I'll get him!" Minho said back. "You two get out of here!"

Newt grabbed Ivy's hand and pulled her out. As soon as their balance was steady enough, they began to run after their friends. Ivy had to let go of Newt's hand so she could block the light that was trying to blind her from above them. Suddenly, she heard gun fire from behind her. Ivy looked over her shoulder, eyes widening when she shadows that looked like people appearing over the hill and running toward them. The soldiers shouted the word Cranks and began to shoot the people. Ivy flinched, slightly scared for her safety.

She whipped her head around when she heard a shriek to her right. One of the "Cranks" had practically tumbled down a hill and was running toward them. Her eyes became even bigger when she saw its appearance. Its skin was deathly pale and its clothes were torn. Half of its hair had been torn out, its eyes were wild and unfocused, and there were black veins visible throughout their body.

Ivy stumbled back in fear of the creature. One the guards seemed to notice and quickly shot at the Crank. It stayed standing for a minute but another round of bullets caused it to fall. Minho came up behind Ivy and pulled her toward the entrance of the large base. The two ran through the doors, breathing heavily before they took in their surroundings.

The base was very large and had many levels. Soldiers and workers walked around, getting different jobs done. Behind them, the doors closed. Thomas stepped forward in front of them, just as confused as the rest of them. They watched a soldier came up to them, accompanied by a slightly older man.

"You kids doing all right?" the man asked, signalling for the soldier to leave. "Sorry about all the fuss. We had ourselves a bit of a swarm."

"Who are you?" Thomas questioned.

"I'm the reason you're all still alive. It's my intention to keep you that way. Now, come with me. We'll get you kids squared away." The group of teens exchanged glances before following after the man. He gave them a small smile and led them further into the base. "You can call me Mr Janson," he told them. "I run this place. For us, it is a sanctuary, safe from the horrors of the outside world. You all should think of it as a way station. Kind of a home between homes. Watch yourselves." He pointed to the sparks above them.