Chapter 14

"It's too hot," Ivy mumbled, kicking her blanket off of her bed.

After laying in bed for a few more minutes, Ivy sat up with a groan. She could already feel a small amount of sweat on her body. She changed into a pair of shorts and a tank top. Choosing to go barefoot, she walked out of the hut, shutting the door behind her. She glanced around the Glade, huffing when she could basically see the heat waves rising from the ground. She already knew it was going to be too hot to work. None of the boys were going to be motivated in this weather.

Ivy turned and headed for the Map Room. She smiled slightly at the feeling of grass in between her toes. She eventually came to the Map Room and pushed the door open, noticing Adam and Minho gathering their supplies for their runs. Minho had been a runner for almost two weeks now and was doing a great job. He was able to cover a lot of ground during the day then remember it all when he got back to map his run. To say the least, he was impressing Ivy.

"Don't bother," she said, causing the two to jump a little.

"Why not?" Adam asked. "We have a job to do."

"Yeah, and as the Keeper, I won't be having my Runners overheating and passing out however many miles away and not knowing where they are. It's too hot to run without getting exhausted or sick. We get the day off. I'll talk to Alby about it during breakfast. Now put your stuff away and get out of here."

Both boys nodded in thanks and did as they were told. After closing the door to the hut, the three Runners headed back to the Glade. Upon entering the Mess Hall, Ivy left her friends to find Alby. She looked around for several minutes, huffing when she didn't see her oldest friend.

"Everything all right?"

Ivy looked over her shoulder to find Alby and Newt approaching. The girl shook her head.

"I'm giving the Runners the day off," she told them. "It's far too hot to be running. Far too hot to be doing anything, honestly."

"You suggesting we give everyone the day off?" Alby asked.

"If we don't want people to overheat, then that would probably be best."

Alby stayed silent for a minute before nodding.

"I'll make the announcement once everyone has their food," he said. "A rest would do everyone some good."

The trio got in line for their food, thanking Frypan once they got their plates. They sat down amongst their friends, making simple talk about random topics. It wasn't long after that Alby pushed his chair back and got on top of the table.

"Can I have everyone's attention?" he called. The Gladers quieted down in no time, all giving their leader their attention. "Due to our extreme weather today and not wanting any of you shanks getting jacked in the head thanks to the heat, you all get the day off. No one has to work today."

A chorus of cheers erupted throughout the Mess Hall, along with applause and several whistles. Alby got off the table and sat back down. Ivy gave him a smile before looking around the room. The boys all had wide smiles on their faces, overjoyed that they had the day off. She listened as they began to make plans with what they were going to do with all their free time. Several boys said they would go to the pond and relax in the water. Others said they would probably just sit in the shade of the trees. And there were a few who claimed they would be going back to their hammocks to rest. As the teens talked about their goals for the day, an idea came to Ivy. She quickly began to think of the things that she would need.

"I know that look," a voice suddenly said. The three glanced up to see Minho, Adam, and Frypan approaching them. Adam smiled and crossed his arms as he continued: "That's the look you get when you're plotting something.