Chapter 38

"Easy there, Gally," Ivy said, leading him into the room they were sharing. "Almost there." She turned their bodies so she could sit Gally onto his bed. "There we go. How are you feeling?"

"Still tired," he replied. "But I can feel that stuff working."

"Good that. Hopefully you'll be back to your normal self in no time." Gally nodded, briefly reaching his hand up to scratch at the bandages around his chest. "Don't scratch that. It'll only irritate the wound."

"But it itches."

"Slim it. You're hurt. I'm not letting you get hurt even more because you chose to do something stupid, slinthead."

Gally chuckled in response but nodded. When he looked at Ivy, she could already see a change. His eyes were coming lighter, almost as if a fog was lifting. Gally gave Ivy a small smile before noticing the bandage on her shoulder.

"What happened?" he asked.

"I got shot. After... we got out, we were found by some soldier who took us to a place they said was safe. Turns out, the people who saved us was WCKD. They were going to experiment on us because they wanted what was inside us. While we were escaping, I got shot a few times but told the others to go. They left me behind and went into the Scorch, but I was found by Isaac and another friend. They saved me and helped Nicole and I get out."

"So the others are alive?" Gally questioned, making Ivy nod.

"Yeah. At least, I think so. I'm not sure anymore."

"What does your gut tell you?"

"That they're still out there somewhere."

"Then they are. Ivy, you are strong, stronger than me by far, and you have this sense that tells you if things are good or bad. If you believe that the others are still alive, then they are. We might not know where, but they are."

Ivy smiled a little at his words. She knew Gally as not one for heart to heart, so this was a nice change from the big, cocky boy in the Glade.

"Thanks, Gally," she said. She gave him a look of concern when she saw him flinch. "You okay?"

"Yeah. I'm fine. It feels like that stuff is fighting the Griever sting."

"Do you want me to go so you can rest?"

"Can you stay?" he asked, almost seeming shy. "I've been asleep for days, trapped in my own head. I need someone to talk to."

"Of course. We can talk about anything you want."

Gally asked what had happened since they last saw each other and Ivy told him everything. From getting to WCKD to nearly punching the kid who asked if she had slept with the entire Glade to their escape. Gally listened, smirking when he heard about her almost getting into a fight. He asked about the people they were with and was told that they were in an old theater with people who were fighting against WCKD and was told their names.

"Gally?" Ivy said after a few moments of silence.

"Yeah?"

"Do you remember when we were in the Glade and I told you that Alby had a sister?"

"Yeah. The night he died. You also punched me in the face that night."

"In my defense, you deserved it." The two chuckled and Gally nodded at her words.

"How much did he remember?" Gally asked, referring to Alby's sister.

"He had a dream about being taken from her."

"What was her name?"

"Eliza."

Gally's eyes widened sightly.