Chapter 49

Ivy slid to the ground, ducking behind a small wall beside Tyson. Gally and Thomas were next to them and a few feet away, Newt and Minho were hiding behind another wall.

"Well, they're definitely pissed," Gally commented.

Ivy shot a glare at him, as well as a 'no duh' look.

"How far are the tunnels?" Thomas asked.

"Maybe twelve blocks from here," Ivy replied.

The small group looked over at Newt, who suddenly broke into a series of harsh coughs. Ivy felt her heart freeze in fear. He was getting worse and if they didn't get out of the City, she was afraid he wasn't going to make it.

"We can make it," she heard Gally say to Thomas, but she knew that he was also saying it to her.

Ivy watched her brother as he talked with Minho. Newt was pulling at his jacket, trying to cool down from the affects of the Flare. Ivy looked down, trying to figure out what to do.

"Ivy." She looked up at Tyson, who was trying to give her a reassuring look. "He's going to be okay. We're going to make it." Ivy nodded slightly, almost too nervous to respond. She was about to give Tyson a thankful smile when she noticed something. She reached forward and started pulling at the collar of his suit. "What are you going?"

"You have something on your neck." She pulled his collar down so she could get a clear view. Ivy inhaled sharply at what she saw. "Tyson-"

"What?"

He had a few dark bruises on his neck, as well as what looked like a bite mark. But what caught her attention the most were the ugly grey veins that were coming from the mark. She looked at Tyson.

"When did you get bitten?" she asked, keeping her voice down.

"What?" His hand flew to his neck, and his eyes widened. "Sh*t!"

"What happened?"

"Mae and I were... together last night. She must have bit me and I didn't notice. And she..."

"She turned," Ivy said, her eyes widening even more. "She bit you and got you infected. D*mn it."

Ivy ran a hand through her short hair before remembering that she had a vial of the serum in her pocket. She quickly reached into her pocket and pulled it out. A hand quickly grabbed her wrist, causing her to look up at Tyson.

"Don't," he said in a low voice. "I'm okay. I haven't turned completely. You need to save that." He looked at Newt. "Save it for when you need it the most. He's bad as it is, he won't last much longer. You and I both know that. Keep that with you and use it when you absolutely need to. He'll survive long enough then for us to get help."

Ivy nodded, putting the vial away and looking at her brother. Thomas was helping him to his feet, keeping his hands on Newt's arms to keep him stable. Tyson gave Ivy a nod and the two moved to follow after the others.

~

Brenda ran down the ramp of the Right Arm base, Frypan and the escaped immune teens behind her.

"Lawrence!" she called.

She came to a stop when she realized that there was no one in sight. Frypan stopped the teens, looking around as well.

"Where is everyone?" Frypan asked, looking at Brenda. "Wait here, guys. Wait. Thomas!"

Frypan and Brenda took off, looking in several different rooms for the Right Arm members and their friends. They shouted out several times, searching for any sign of life.