Chapter 50

Newt suddenly launched forward at them. The two stumbled to duck out of the way, and Thomas pushed Newt to the ground to avoid getting tackled. Newt slid across the pavement a little before scrambling back to his feet and charging again, this time at Thomas.

"Newt? Newt, it's me. It's me!"

Thomas was tackled to the ground and immediately tried to push Newt off of him. Ivy ran toward them and threw herself at Newt, knocking him off of Thomas. She quickly stood back up and watched her brother, her heart in her throat as he coughed violently.

"Tommy," he said. "Kill me!"

"Newt, listen, we're right here," she tried to say before Newt roared again and ran at them.

"Newt!"

Ivy shoved Thomas out of the way, taking the hit and falling to the ground with Newt on top of her. He pressed his arm against her throat, blocking off her air way. Ivy struggled against him, trying to breathe again while also blocking his attempts to bite her. Newt suddenly slowed, breathing hard again as she pushed his arm away from her throat.

"Ivy?" he said. "I'm sorry, Ivy. I'm sorry."

"It's okay," she gasped, trying to remain calm. "It's okay."

Newt's eyes changed once again as he suddenly reached for the hand gun that was in his boot. He immediately lifted it to his head, ready to fire.

"No!" Ivy and Thomas shouted.

Ivy knocked the gun away, making Newt growl. Thomas pulled him off of her, giving Ivy enough time to shuffle backward. She gasped for breath, watching briefly as Thomas struggled with Newt. She felt her hope slipping away when she suddenly remembered something. She scrambled through her pockets, finally locating the small blue vial.

"Thomas!" she shouted when there was a brief pause in the fight. Thomas had just shoved Newt away, both breathing hard. The boy looked over at her quickly, his eyes darting to the vial in her hand. "I know what to- Look out!"

Thomas ducked when Newt suddenly swung a knife at Thomas. Newt tackled Thomas to the ground, and thrust his knife down, aiming for Thomas's chest. The boy managed to stop him, but with Newt's strength, the knife lowered enough to cut slightly into Thomas's chest. He cried out in pain before managing to kick Newt then punch him to knock him down again.

"Ivy, hurry!"

Ivy quickly got to her feet, running toward her brother and friend. Thomas kept backing up to avoid the knife being swung at his chest again and again. Ivy hurried behind Newt, grabbing his arm and pulling it back.

"Thomas, you need to go!" she shouted, struggling against her brother while his other arm tried to grab her. She used the arm holding the serum to lock Newt's flailing around up by his head. "This can only do so much! These never worked for long! He'll be worse than before if you don't hurry."

"I'm not leav-"

"Go!"

Thomas took several steps back before grabbing the gun Newt had tried to use and heading to the WCKD building.

"Newt, you're going to be okay," Ivy said, struggling against him some more. She brought the small vial to his neck, pressing a button to eject a needle. Before she could press it to his neck, she felt a burning pain in her skull then a moment later in her leg. It took her a moment to realize that when Newt had pulled her short hair, her grip on his other arm had weakened enough for Newt to stab her with his knife. "Sh*t!" she shouted before pressing the needle forward. She hit the button again and watched the liquid drain.