Chapter 11

"Morning, Fry," Ivy said as she stepped into the kitchen.

"Hey, Ivy," the cook answered with a yawn, making Ivy chuckle.

"Still not awake?"

"Nope. Don't know how you're able to be fully awake at this time in the morning."

"Experience, I guess."

"Guess so. I packed your lunch for you, along with some breakfast."

"Thank, Frypan."

"No problem. See ya later."

Ivy waved goodbye to her friend before heading to the Map Room to pack her bag. Today, Ivy would be running by herself again. She had given Adam the day off since he had gotten himself extremely drunk at the bonfire the night before. She knew he would be in no condition to run; the shank couldn't even walk five feet without swaying to the side.

As she ate her breakfast, Ivy put her the rest of her food and her water bottle into her bag. She made sure she had a small note pad in the pack, in case she needed it, along with some rope. Ivy placed the bag on her back and grabbed her weapons, sticking a small knife onto her belt and a machete on her back. After making sure she had everything, she made her way to the Maze doors.

Ivy waited by the doors, moving her legs a bit to get them ready for her run. Behind her, she could faintly hear the Gladers beginning to wake up. She looked over her shoulder, smiling a little when she saw her friends walking around. She waved slightly when she saw Newt and Minho heading toward the Mess Hall. The boys waved back at her. Ivy smiled when she saw the Newt only had one crutch instead of two.

Ivy turned her gaze back to the Maze when she heard the doors groan and begin to open. She took a deep breath, ducking between the doors once they were wide enough for her to fit through. Her feet barely seemed to touch the ground as she ran down the halls.

~

Ivy slowed to a stop, breathing heavily. She had been running for the entire morning and this was her first break. She grabbed her water bottle and took a quick drink as she sat down on the ground. Her legs were shaking from her run but it was a normal feeling so she didn't worry.

The girl pulled her hair out of its ponytail so she could run her hand through it. Once she got the knots out of it, she put her hair in a braid to keep it out of her face. Ivy laid her hair over her shoulder and looked at it. Her dirty blond hair was halfway down her chest, and that was when it was pulled together. She knew that she would have to cut her hair soon to keep it from getting to long.

After eating a small stack of crackers that resembled an animal - she couldn't remember what animal it looked like - Ivy repacked her bag. The girl rose to her feet, pulling on her backpack. Once she was situated, she took off again, restarting her journey through the Maze. Time seemed to slip her mind because the next time she looked at her watch, it was almost three thirty.

"Shuck," she said, turning and sprinting back the way she had come. Ivy had been searching a new series of corridors, memorizing them so she could map them when she got back. The only problem with that was that she had a two and a half hour run ahead of her and the doors would be closing in two. Ivy pushed herself so she could try and shorten that time.

Ivy ran as fast as she could, reciting the directions in her head as she made lefts and rights. As she rounded a corner, the sound of a low growl floated to her ears, along with the sound of metal tapping on stone. Ivy wanted to freeze in place but forced herself to run faster. She had only heard that sound once in person, but many times in her dreams.

The sounds grew closer and closer. Ivy slid to a stop and the sight before her only confirmed her fears. A Griever crawled out of a passage, growling. Ivy tried to quietly make her way to the nearest corridor, which would take her to the Glade. But apparently, luck was not on her side. The Griever turned its head and spotted Ivy, who quickly dashed away. The creature shrieked and started after her.

Ivy was cursing under her breath as she pushed herself fast. She thought Grievers only came out when the doors closed but apparently they came out in the deeper parts of the Maze earlier. The girl forced herself to fly down the halls, nearly slamming into walls as she made different turns. She didn't have to look back to know that a Griever was behind her; it's shrieks were enough to confirm that.

Suddenly, the sound of gears beginning to turn reached her ears. Ivy picked up her already fast pace, knowing that the Maze doors were close but shutting. When she turned around the last corner, she saw that the doors were already halfway closed. On the other side of the doors were the Gladers.

"There!" Adam suddenly shouted pointing at her.

The boys all started to call to her, telling her to hurry up but she knew she wasn't going to make it. She looked at Alby and Newt and saw the debating looks on their faces.

"If you even dare think of coming in here, the Grievers are going to be the least of your worries!" Ivy shouted, glaring at the boys.

Before any could reply, a shriek was heard from behind her. Ivy turned her head, knowing the Griever was almost upon her. She glanced back at the doors before sliding to a stop. The Gladers screamed for her to keep running, that she could possibly make it through the doors, but Ivy knew the truth. She gave the boys an apologetic look, her heart breaking when she saw several guys holding back Adam, Alby, and Newt. Ivy's chest heaved, begging for a break and oxygen. Denying their demands, Ivy ran back the way she had came as the Maze doors sealed themselves shut.

~

The Gladers barely moved once the doors closed. Every one of them seemed to be glued in place. It was only when they heard a faint shriek come from inside the Maze that realization of what had happened hit them. The boys exchange looks before slowly walking away from the doors. Soon, only Alby, Gally, Newt, Minho, Frypan, and Adam stood in front of the Maze.

"Do you think she'll make it?" Frypan asked quietly.

No one wanted to say the words they were all thinking: no one survives a night in the Maze.

"Ivy's one of the strongest people we know," Gally said after several moments. He had the evidence to prove it; he had a bruise on his cheek from where she had hit him the night before. "If anyone can get out, it's her."

Alby shook his head, his hands tightening into fists as his body shook. Tears were threatening to fall and he wanted to let them. Ivy, his second and best friend, was trapped in the Maze with the same creatures that had forced him to kill George. He couldn't lose her, the girl he considered his sister, to the Maze.

The boy ran to the Maze wall and started banging on it with his fists, almost as if he was hoping they would break down if he hit them hard enough. Adam hurried up behind him and wrapped his arms around the boy, pulling him away from the doors.

"Calm down, Alby," he said. "You're not gonna help Ivy by banging on these shucking walls.

"Ivy wouldn't want you to be like this, man," Minho stated.

"Shank's right," Gally agreed. "Now come on. Let's get you to Clint so he can do something about your hands."

Gally and Adam led their shaking leader away to see the Keeper of the Med-Jacks. Frypan followed behind them, heading to the kitchens to make something and get his mind off of Ivy. As they grew further away, Minho looked at Newt, who had remained silent this entire time. The blond was staring at the Maze doors.

"It's my fault," he muttered, sensing Minho looking at him. "If I hadn't been so bloody stupid, this probably wouldn't have happened. Now she's stuck in there with those bloody creatures."

"Gally's right though," Minho said. "Ivy's the toughest person in the Glade. She'll get out."

"I think I'm gonna stay out here tonight," Newt said after several minutes. "I want to be here when the doors open. I have to know if she's alright."

"I'll stay with you then. If she's hurt in anyway, I can help."

"Thanks, Min."