Chapter 27

"Are you okay?" Newt asked quietly, standing by Ivy.

The girl nodded, looking away from where Gally was. The Builder had been using a knife to cross out the names of the people who had died during the Griever attack. Ivy had learned earlier that morning that Adam had died as well, along with ten other boys including Alby. While Ivy had been glad the number of boys killed hadn't been a larger number, she was devastated that those eleven boys would never see the outside of Maze ever again. She had cried for almost half an hour when she heard the news.

"Yeah. Just a little nervous about this. I'm just praying we don't run into any Grievers while we're out there, but given our luck lately, I doubt it."

"If we do end up facing those things, we'll be there to protect you. Minho, Thomas, Chuck, me, and anyone else who comes along. We'll be there for you."

Ivy smiled at the blonde, leaning into his side and allowing him to wrap an arm around her shoulder in comfort.

"Thanks, Newt."

"Anything for you."

"Hey." The two looked up to see Minho approaching them, running pack on his back. In his hand was Ivy's pack. She had chosen not to wear it yet as it might cause suspicion. "They're coming."

At his words, the trio looked over to see a group of five approaching the Maze. One of the Gladers was leading Teresa forward, holding her arms behind her back, while two others were practically dragging Thomas. Newt gently tugged on Ivy's arm, guiding her closer toward the Maze doors, but keeping their distance. The two Gladers holding Thomas released him, letting his body fall to the ground as he was unconscious.

"This is such a waste," Gally said, putting his knife away.

"Gally," Winston suddenly said, getting the Builder's attention. "It doesn't feel right, man."

"Yeah, what if Thomas is right?" Jeff questioned. "Maybe he can lead us home."

Ivy looked at the two, silently hoping that they were on their side. Her arms were crossed over her chest, her left hand playing the end of her braided hair, trying to keep herself from fidgeting too much.

"We are home," Gally told them. "Okay? I don't wanna have to cross any more names off that wall."

"You really think banishing us is going to solve anything?" Teresa spoke up.

"No," Gally responded. "But this isn't a banishing." Ivy looked at him in confusion. "It's an offering." He nodded for the boy holding Teresa to tie her to the large post set up before the Maze.

"What? Wait! Gally, what are you doing?" Teresa asked, slightly panicked.

"You really think I'm gonna let Thomas back into the Maze after what he's done? Look around you!" Gally said, addressing the Gladers. "Look at our Glade! This is the only way. And when the Grievers get what they came here for, everything goes back to the way it was."

"Are you listening to this?" Teresa questioned. "Why are you all just standing there? He's crazy!"

"Will you shut up?"

"If you stay here, the Grievers are going to come back. They're gonna come back, and they're gonna keep coming back until you're all dead!"

"Shut up! Tie him up!" The Gladers hesitated to do what Gally had ordered. "Did you hear me? I said tie him up!"

The boys nodded and bent down to grab Thomas's arms again. They started to haul him to his feet, only to be elbowed stomach and knocked over. Teresa kicked the boy that was standing near her. Newt and Ivy sprung into action, hurrying forward. Frypan cut Teresa down with his knife and the two joined the rest of them. Minho had his knife on Gally's shoulder to keep him from moving forward as he himself joined the group, standing beside Ivy. Chuck hurried to them, supplies on his back. Thomas pointed the spear he had picked up at Gally.