Chapter 34

"Is everything ready?" Nicole asked, looking at her two male friends.

"We're ready. Most of the guards are on their way back from searching for the escapees," Isaac told them. "We have a Berg lined up and ready."

"We might run into trouble on the way and I won't be able to help fight if it becomes necessary," Chris said.

"You don't have to carry me, you know," Ivy responded.

"You're still hurt. Yes you can move, but too much movement and you'll rip your stitches. Plus you can't move as fast as we will need to move."

"So what do you suggest we do? Isaac can't hold them all off by himself if it comes to it."

"Then he won't," Nicole said. "I'm taking Chris's gun. They taught me everything they know about their weapons and I've seen WCKD's files on their weapons."

"Once we get to the hangar, we'll be out in the open," Chris continued. "We'll have to race to the Berg."

"Once we're in the Berg, I can start it up," Isaac stated. "The Berg will protect us from any fire on the outside."

"But where will we go?" Ivy questioned. "Do we actually know where we're going after we get out?"

"There's a city beyond the Scorch. It's the last standing city known. There's a group of rebels outside the city. I've been in contact with them. They'll meet us and give us shelter when we arrive."

"And we can trust them?" Nicole asked, crossing her arms over her chest.

Isaac gave her a look that told them all that he was uncertain.

"I guess we'll find out then," Chris replied. He looked down at his watch. "We need to get moving. The rest of the guards will be returning soon and we need to be gone before that happens."

The others nodded. Chris handed Nicole his gun, along with the backpack filled with plenty of medical supplies for Ivy. As Isaac went to the door to make sure the hall was clear, Chris gently lifted Ivy into his arms. Ivy wrapped her arms around his neck, wincing slightly when she felt a small flash of pain. Chris gave her a questioning look.

"I'm fine," she told him, receiving a nod in response.

Isaac motioned for them to move into the hallway. Chris took the lead, followed closely by Nicole and Isaac. They moved as fast as they could down the halls, checking around every corner and keeping an eye behind them. Ivy held on tight to Chris, trying to make herself lighter in his arms so she wouldn't slow him down at all. It was almost scary how quiet the halls were. In a way, they almost reminded Ivy of the Maze, except filled with more light. She mentally recited every turn they made as a result of habit.

Just as they rounded a corner, alarms started to go off again. The group froze, staring at the lights.

"We need to move!" Isaac said. "Come on!"

The others followed Chris down the halls, almost running now. Chris held Ivy closer to him to keep her from moving too much.

"How did they find us?" he questioned.

"Cameras!" Nicole suddenly realized, raising her gun and shooting the first one she saw. She ran ahead of them and shot the next several. "Hopefully we can keep them off our trail long enough for us to get to the hangar."

"We need to move faster," Isaac said.

"You guys go on ahead," Chris said. "Ivy and I will catch up."

"You're sure?" Chris nodded, setting Ivy on the ground but still supporting her. "Here, take my gun. We'll meet you at the hangar."

Chris took the gun in his hand, thanking Isaac. The two said goodbye before Isaac and Nicole disappeared down the hall. Chris looked down at Ivy.