Chapter 15

"Alby, I think you and Newt should see something."

The Glader leader looked at Ivy for a moment before nodding.

"I'll grab Newt," he said. "We'll meet you at the Map Room."

The two parted ways, Ivy heading back to the Map Room while Alby went to get Newt from the gardens. Ivy stepped into the Map Room and approaching the center table where the model of the Maze was. She put her hands on the table, staring down at the model, only glancing up when she heard Newt and Alby walk in.

"What's up?" Alby asked.

"Take a look at this," Ivy said, motioning to the model.

"It's the Maze model."

"No kidding. But what do you notice about it?"

"It's bigger," Newt said, taking a closer look.

"Almost twice the size that it was before I got stuck in there two months ago," Ivy told them. "We've been able to search the Maze more because we had more people."

"But there's something else, isn't there?" Alby questioned.

"Yeah. Almost half of the progress we've done has been done by Minho."

The boys stared at her.

"Really?" Newt said.

"He's running more of the Maze than I do a day."

"And still gets back here before the doors close." Ivy nodded at Alby's statement. "So what are you saying, Ivy?"

"I'm saying it's time the Runners had a new Keeper."

"What?"

"Minho's the fastest guy in the Glade, faster than me. We've tested it. He's able to go further than any Runner has before and still make it back in time. Someone like that needs to be leading the Runners."

"Are you sure, Ivy?" Newt asked. "I mean you have been the Keeper since we started exploring the Maze."

"I'm sure. With Minho in charge, we may have a chance of getting out of here sooner. I have faith in him, in all the Runners, present and future."

Newt and Alby glanced at one another, both knowing that Ivy would not back down once she made a decision.

"Alright," Alby said. "You've just got to tell him then. And Adam."

"I'll let them know later tonight. Right now, we have a bonfire to get ready for."

~

Ivy smiled as she watched the Gladers. As always, boys were goofing off and hanging out with one another. A few boys provided music with whatever pans they could find. Like every other bonfire, Gally had started up the sparring ring, easily throwing the weaker boys out. The new Greenie had even gone up against him and managed to hold his own for a few minutes, but like the others, he was defeated. Newt and Minho had gone off the watch the fights and talk with a few of the other Gladers, leaving Ivy by herself. She was glad for it though; being alone gave her time to herself to think.

Ivy glanced toward the Maze, faintly hearing the walls changing. When they first started changing, it had been a challenge to map the Maze, but once Ivy realized that they were rotating in a pattern, they were easier to predict. Ivy smiled a little when she remembered that she still had to tell Minho that he was the new Keeper. She had already told Adam, who approved of her choice even though he was a little disappointed she would no longer be the Keeper. But hopefully with Minho in charge, they'd have a better chance of escaping.