Chapter 25

Ivy and Newt jumped at the sudden noise, startled. The noise was so loud that they knew it could not have been caused by anything in the Glade. Another crash was heard a moment later. The two stood up quickly, realizing that the noises were originating from the Maze. Without a word, the two ran for the Maze doors, leaving Ivy's half eaten plate of food sitting in the kitchen.

Ivy skidded to a stop when she reached the Maze, her eyes wide as she stared into it. Sounds of crashing were still echoing, some louder than others. Newt came up beside Ivy, glancing from her to the Maze.

"What was that?" he asked.

"I don't know. Nothing has ever moved out there during the day."

"Do you think they found something?"

"I'm not sure..."

Deep down, Ivy knew that they must have found something since the Maze had begun to move. But the only thoughts going through her head were ones worrying about Minho and Thomas. She didn't know if they were all right or not. They could be dead and she would never know until it was too late.

Without a thought, her feet started to move. But before she could even step foot in the Maze, she felt someone grab her arm and another person wrap an arm around her waist. She turned to see that it was Newt and Gally holding her back. Before she could tell them to let her go, Newt shook his head.

"We don't know what's going on out there," he told her. "If they're alive, they're probably on their way back now. But you won't know that if you go out there yourself. They might have to take a different route to get back. I know you want to know but you need to wait. You told Minho to be back half and hour before closing. If they're not back by then, you can go in to find them, but only if you stay close enough so you make it back before closing."

Ivy nodded weakly. The two boys released their grips on her but stayed at the Maze doors. Over the next few hours, more boys joined them and Ivy became more anxious. Newt had to hold her hand to keep her from shaking and from running into the Maze.

As time drew closer for the doors to close, Ivy became increasingly more worried. She looked down at her watch for what felt like the millionth time. The boys were cutting it close. Just as she was about to announce she would go look for them, Newt's grip tightened on her hand.

"Hang on a minute," he said.

Ivy looked up to stare into the Maze. Not a moment later, two figures jogged around the corner.

"Oh my god," Ivy breathed. Newt let go of her hand, allowing her to bolt forward. Thomas and Minho slowed to a stop, giving Minho enough time to prepare himself so he didn't fall over when Ivy crashed into him. She wrapped her arms around him, holding him close and burying her face into his neck. "Don't you ever do that again, you jackhead. You scared me."

"I'm sorry, Ivy. Believe me, it won't happen again."

Ivy looked up, noticing something different in his promise.

"What do you mean?"

"It means, we might not be here for much longer."

Before she could ask any more questions, he took her hand and the three jogged to the Glade.

"What the h*ll's going on out there?" Newt asked when they stepped foot into the Glade.

"What the h*ll have you done now, Thomas?" Gally questioned.

"We found something," Thomas said, looking at Newt as they walked away from the Maze. "A new passage. We think it could be a way out."

"Really?" said Newt, shocked.