xxiii.

CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

adrianna saint laurent
perspective

--

"WHAT DO YOU want from me?" I sigh, glancing up at him. He had everything existing in the world so what could I possibly give him?

"It's something only you can help me with," he mutters, his face twisting into a serious expression.

"Go on," I whisper, my heart beating anxiously.

"The 2009 Manhattan Car Accident Case. I know you know everything about it. Tell me everything about it and get me the file," he states and I take a step back, scrunching my face in shock and confusion.

"That case was closed a long time ago and it wasn't even revealed to the public. How the hell do you know, Nico? You're not supposed to know this." I narrow my eyes at him, taking a step closer to him.

"How can I not know about this when I was involved in that accident?"

I grab his collar and look into his eyes, "How were you involved in the same accident as my mother? Tell me." I demand as mixed emotions build up in my chest and my hands start to quiver.

"Your uncle is the chief of the police, he should have all the files. I want them." Nico states, looking into my eyes.

"Not until you tell me how the hell you're involved in this," I seethe, clenching his shirt in my fist.

"You would hate me if you found out how I'm involved in this," he sends me a sad smile and my lips start to quiver as I start to remember all the horrible memories I had forgotten over the years.

"Why would you even bring this up if you knew how much this accident killed me on the inside?" I whisper, closing my eyes as I take a step back away from him.

"I'm the reason why this all happened," he mutters and I look up at him, furrowing my eyebrows at him, trying to process what his words meant.

"I'm the reason you lost half your memories when you were little," he whispers, "I'm the reason why your mother died."

"What are you saying, Nico?" I whisper as my eyes start to get watery, the pain striking my head with so much force, slowly bringing all the memories back.

"You forgot all this. The truck driver was supposed to kill me but your mum tried to save me and hit her car against the truck, leaving me safe while it took away her life. Nothing happened to you because you were in the back seat but it took away all your memories," he trails off, never breaking our eye contact.

"Why are you telling me all this now? Don't you know how much I tried to forget about this, Nico?" I whisper as I feel a warm tear run down my cheek.

"The guilt killed me so much, Anna. You have no clue. I blame myself for everything," he whispers and I could hear his voice breaking.

"Please forgive me. I'm so sorry for everything. All I can do now is beg for forgiveness," he breathes out, gazing into my eyes.

"Why are you apologising?" I whisper, "It's not your fault this happened," I sigh, resting my head on his chest.

"That's why I need those files. I want to know who did this. I want to get revenge." Nico states, clenching his fist as he puts his other hand on my back.

"That's impossible, Nico. That man already died." I sigh, shaking my head.

"What if I told you that he was murdered? It wasn't a natural death."