thirty

zander
▪︎

I had no idea where he was. I swear I've past the same rock formation several times already. It was almost pitch black. My phone had died at least an hour ago. The batteries in the torch I found in the boot of the car are almost depleted.

I was so cold. The jacket I had on still not providing enough heat in the freezing temperatures.

I came to another fork in the path. I didn't take note of which way I went last time. I think it was the right. It could have been left though? No. I think it was the right.

I walked down the left side. The trees and bushes surrounding the path almost swallowed it. There wasn't much room to get through. I definitely hadn't been down this one before.

I came across the small clearing, this place was familiar. I knew it. I'd been down here before. I saw the rock, the creek, and the tree with the initials 'A.T' carved into the side.

I knew it. I found it. I couldn't see him though. He wasn't here.

I felt like breaking down and crying. Every emotion was rushing to my head. I thought he'd be here. Where else could my Ash possibly go? It was all my fault. This wouldn't have happened if we'd just stayed hom-.

I heard leaves ruffle in the silence and a faint noise, like someone was whispering. Maybe he is here.

"Hello?" I called out. I might just be hearing things. I wanted to see Asher so bad that I was imagining it.

"Help me. Please," now I know I'm definitely not hearing things. The voice stuttered out so quietly that I hardly could hear it.

I walked toward the sound of the voice. It was closer to the creek. You could hear the flow of water, the recent downpour filling it up.

I still couldn't see anyone. The torch was almost gone.

"Hello? Is anyone there?" I yelled out once more.

"Zander. Please," fuck. That was Asher. I'm certain. I wiped the tears away from my eyes. I had to stay strong and conscious.

"Asher? Where are you?" I stuttered out, my teeth were chattering like crazy.

"Fuck Asher!" I found him, perched behind a rock. "Oh my god. Fuck!" I couldn't stop myself from crying at the sight of him. His precious skin was covered in scratches and it was so, so cold.

"Where's your phone?" I tapped down his pockets, but couldn't feel it. "Fucking hell Asher, where is it?" he lifted his hand up, where the phone was placed.

I snatched it out of his hand as quickly as I could. It was on, my number was halfway punched in. He tried calling me, he knew he was in trouble.

I erased the number, quickly calling 911. I had to get him help, fast.

"911, what's your emergency?"

"Ash, he, uh, somethings wrong, but, I, uh, I-I don't kno-"

"Sir, please calm down. Do you need an ambulance?"

"Yes, yeah I do," I was stuttering bad, but I didn't care. Asher needed help.

"Alright Sir, an ambulance service is en route to your location. Can you confirm to me that your are in Eastfield Forest?"

"Yes, we are," I took my jacket off, wrapping it around Asher, he needed the warmth more than me.

"Is the patient breathing?"

"Uh, yes. But, um, it's not very strong," the operator told me everything to do. I don't know what condition Ash is in. What if he's about to die or something? I don't know if I'd be able to live knowing that I played a part in it. It would be all my fault. Everything is always my fault.