•C h a p t e r F i v e•

Dedicated to florescencee

Song for chapter five: Enchanted by Taylor Swift

|Skyler|

I leaned against my locker, with great effort to keep my eyes open as Josie droned on about a History project that was due tomorrow that she hadn't started yet.

It had been another sleepless night —mostly sleepless— as I hadn't drifted off to sleep until about three in the morning. I didn't exactly know why, my thoughts about my mother shut off a couple hours before that, but my brain wandered off thinking about everything else but sleep.

It had been that way for the whole week, and it was finally taking a toll on me. It was now the second week of school and I could barely get through it without snoozing while someone was talking.

"Skyler? Helloooo?" Josie waved her hand in front of me. I blinked the sleep out of my eyes, pushing myself off my locker.

"Oh gosh, sorry I zoned out. What were you saying besides history?" I asked.

Josie rolled her eyes with a smile. "I was saying that the masquerade ball is going to be the best thing the school has ever done for us," she repeated, waving a stack of flyers in my face. I guess it was her job as a part of the student council to hang those around and advertise the ball. My eyes rolled to the back of my head from the thought of it. A ball? What school held balls?

"What, do you not have a lot of these dances back in Canada?" she asked me when she took in my stupor. If I attended every single dance, my mom would've be broke from all the dress shopping.

I shook my head, "Not really," I said as I followed her down the hall. Josie smacked the flyers onto every few lockers, not caring if they were crooked or hanging on by a corner.

"Well then, you're going to have the best night of your life. As a part of the student council, I'll make sure if it," she squealed, her eyes twinkling, but her excitement died down quickly. "You're out of luck though, Aden doesn't do dates, he'll probably end up going alone if he goes at all."

"Well, I don't want to go with him," I said defensively. Josie only wriggled her eyebrows at me, smirking to herself. I was about to tell her that a ball wasn't exactly my thing, and that I'd much rather stay home in my bed when the bell sounded throughout the school for first period. I sighed and we both made our way to the most dreaded subject: Math. We weaved between the large crowds of students within the math wing, all students still seemingly half asleep this early in the morning and honestly I couldn't blame them.

The whole class felt like hours of nonsense as the teacher went on and on about radicals and things that nobody actually cared about. Things that would never help us in real life. When the bell finally rang, I sprang off my seat and hurried to chemistry through the crowded hall.