BS 4 (Revised)

4. Meet the Fallen Angel

//Celina Rania//

I was thirteen when I killed someone.

And that someone was my grandfather.

Ang angkan naming mga Farouq ang siyang nagmamay-ari ng Neon Transport Company sa Dubai. Ayon pa sa statistics ay ito rin ang ika-sixteenth na nangungunang transport equipment manufacturing company sa buong mundo.

My grandfather, Nasser Farouq, was known as one of the best race drivers in the old days. He could drive any transport such as bikes, motors, cars, trains, aircrafts, boats, heck, just name it and he'd be driving it without thinking twice. He would even challenge you with a race.

When he retired as a racer, he became the CEO of the company. He loved his job. He loved his family. But most especially, he loved me.

I was his favorite even though I'm the black sheep of our clan.

Alam din namin kung ano ang pangunahing dahilan kung bakit ako ang naging paborito niya out of all the honorable, achievers, and successful family members.

It's because I inherited his skill.

My parents didn't have the chance to get married. My grandparents opposed their relationship, so they planned to elope in the Philippines.

Sadly, I was a year old when my father passed away as he deeply suffered from leukemia. Kaya wala nang ibang mapagpipilian pa si Mommy kundi ang bumalik na lang na dala-dala ako sa Dubai. And my grandparents wholeheartedly accepted us.

Noong nagkaroon na ako ng sariling pag-iisip, I was fascinated by the car commercials I watched on the television. Pinilit ko nang pinilit si Mommy na bilhan din ako ng sasakyan.

And she did. She bought me my first ever vehicle. A children's electric car.

I loved it. I won't stop playing with it. I even drived inside and outside of the house so swiftly.

Napuna naman nila kung gaano ako kabilis magmaneho ng laruan kong iyon. Grandpa adored me for it kaya binilhan niya ako ng bisikleta. Ang mas ikinagulat pa nila ay agad ko iyong natutunang sakyan without needing any assistance and without even falling. Sa halip ay may tricks pa akong ginagawa habang sinasakyan ang bike.

I was two at that time and my mom hated it.

She also opposed the idea of his father personally teaching me how to drive different vehicles for years.

Before I was even five, I self-taught myself how to ride and do tricks with the bikes, electric cars, skateboards, and scooters. I did all of that to make them proud, but Grandpa was the only person who supported me.

On my fifth birthday, rinegaluhan niya ako ng sarili kong racetrack. That's when he presented himself as my mentor.

I was five when we raced for the first time using our own bikes sa racetrack ko. Obviously, I lost. But we ate ice creams and flew kites afterwards to cheer me up.

I was six when he sent me alone in a hot air balloon for an hour. His goal was to make me strong enough to not be afraid of mere heights.

I was seven when he introduced me to equestrianism and made me the youngest player who competed but still lost. I was in fourth place, though.

I was eight when he taught me how to row a boat and made me build a raft for forty minutes. I passed his task and he let me ride a jet ski.

I was nine when I learned how to drive motorcycles. And one thing about me, I drive very fast.