Ch. 14

~Piper's P.O.V.~

Olivia dropped Avery off about a half hour ago. Austin and I decided to tell her what went down while she and Avery were gone. 

"Avery, time for bed!" I say. 

"But I'm not tired." Avery whines. 

"It's not up for debate. You can play with your toys until your tired, I just need you to go to bed." I tell her. 

"You just hate me. That's why you want me to go to bed." Avery tells me. 

"Avery, that's not true and you know it. Mommy's just tired and wants to go to bed. As soon as your in bed, I can go to sleep." I try and explain. 

"No!" Avery states, folding her arms and looking away. I sigh and go to pick her up. She screams and thrashes around. "No mommy! No!" 

"Yes, Avery. Yes." I say calming. She continues to scream and cry as I carry her up to her room. I set her on her bed and close the door. 

"I hate you, mommy! I hate you! I hate you!" Avery screams. 

"Avery Hastings Curda! Stop screaming and put your pajamas on." I demand. She just screams in my face. I grab her and lock her in her room. 

"Tough night?" Austin asks as I come downstairs. 

"Yeah." I sigh. He comes over and hugs me. I wrap my arms around him until we hear Avery start to calm down. 

"I'll go put her to bed." Austin tells me. I nod and go to sit on the couch. Fifteen minutes later, the house is quiet and Austin comes down to sit beside me. 

"Did she go to sleep?" I ask. 

"No. But she promised she'd stop screaming and be quiet." he says. I nod and lean against him. I'm so tired I can barely keep my eyes open. So I end up falling asleep. 

~Austin's P.O.V.~

Both of my beautiful girls are asleep. I'm assuming Avery went to sleep because I can't hear her anymore. I looked at the clock and saw it was 10:36pm. I picked up Piper and carried her upstairs. I set her on her bed then went to check on Avery. 

"Avery, baby girl? Are you still awake?" I ask. Avery was asleep on her bed. The light was on though so I turned it off. 

"Daddy?" Avery asks. I turn around and walk over to her bed. 

"Yeah?" I ask. 

"Do you think mommy hates me?" she asks. 

"Of course not, baby girl. Why would you think that?" I ask. She shrugs. 

"She doesn't act like she cares as much." Avery says. 

"You're growing up. She doesn't need to do everything for you anymore. But she still loves you." I tell her. She nods then hugs me. 

"Night, night, daddy." she says. 

"Night, night, Avery." I say. I get up and walk out. I see Piper on her bed staring at the ceiling. 

"Hey." she says when she sees me in the doorway. 

"What's wrong?" I ask. I walk over and sit on her bed. She sits up and moves over. 

"Nothing.' she shrugs. 

"Piper, don't try and hide something from me." I tell her. She nods. 

"What if Avery finds out your not her dad?" Piper asks. That question was hard. 

"I don't know. We hope she understands why we didn't want her to know her dad was some crazy, drug addict, maniac." I shrug. She laughs a little. 

"I just don't want her to hate me for not telling her." she sighs. 

"I just had this exact talk with Avery." I said. Piper gave me a funny look. "She thought you hated her." 

"Oh." 

"But the point is, neither of you could ever hate each other. You'll always have a special bond and that's the mother daughter bond. No matter how hard you try, you can never break that." I tell her. She nods then lays back down.

"Go to sleep." I tell her.