Prologue {Edited}

Kidnapped
_____________

Paisley's feet pounded against the sandy ground, her breaths coming in rapid bursts, and her heart raced with fear. Tears welled in her eyes, obscuring her vision as she sprinted desperately. The screeching of tires echoed behind her, a menacing reminder that they were closing in fast.

"Help! Somebody, please help!" Paisley screamed desperately, her cries ringing out, but it felt as though her pleas fell on deaf ears. It was as if no one had heard her, or worse, as if no one cared to respond.

Paisley felt like she had been running for an eternity. She pushed herself to the limit, her feet on the verge of giving out beneath her.

She dashed down an increasingly unfamiliar dirt road, passing houses and leaping over fences, desperately trying to shake off her pursuers. But no matter how hard she tried, they refused to give up.

Fear gripped Paisley. All she had wanted was to visit her best friend, Kayla. She never asked for any of this. Whoever was in that relentless vehicle behind her showed no signs of relenting—they were relentlessly tailing her every step.

Paisley's exhausted body gave way, causing her to stumble and collapse in front of the idling car. She was on the brink of passing out from the intense exertion. Struggling to get back on her feet, she found herself drained of energy.

A tall, ominous figure emerged from the car, towering over her. Paisley couldn't discern the person's face due to the mask, but she could tell it was a man.

"Please, what do you want? Just leave me alone," Paisley pleaded, her tears streaming down as she slowly shuffled backward on the dirt.

The masked stranger remained silent, raising a pistol in hand, and struck her across the face. Paisley's head jerked back as she felt her words caught in her throat. She was overwhelmed with weakness and fear. The stranger struck her once more, and darkness claimed her consciousness.