•C h a p t e r E i g h t•

Dedicated to GingerRoot47

Song for chapter eight: Delicate by Taylor Swift

|Skyler|

I leaned back against the elevator wall, my back making contact with it and wrapped my arms around my body. It was pitch black and I blinked repeatedly, trying to adjust to the darkness.

A small beam of light flickered on from Aden's phone, illuminating his face as he directed the light to the buttons on the elevator. He wasn't supposed to have his phone, it was supposed to be locked inside his locker during physical education class, but I was thankful that he'd broken the rules. I longed for my own phone that was trapped inside my locker.

He pressed the emergency call button and turned to look at me, running a hand through his hair in frustration.

"We should have taken the stairs," he groaned.

I couldn't help but laugh, "It's okay. We're not that far from the ground anyway. We'll just have to wait for someone to come and get us." I sat down on the ground, ignoring the fact that the elevator probably hadn't been cleaned for months.

At least I'm missing gym class.

Aden eyed me for a short moment before nodding and plopping down next to me on the floor, close enough that shoulder brushed against mine. His signature scent of vanilla wafted up my nose and I felt my cheeks heat up. I was suddenly thankful that it was so dark in the elevator.

He looked over at me, the dim light on his phone casting shadows on his face, making him out to be ten times more attractive than usual.

"Why were you on the subway every single day over the summer?" he asked me bluntly, cutting through the silence.

"So you do remember me?" I raised an eyebrow at him.

"How could I not?" he spoke in a soft tone as he turned his face away from me. "You ruined my favourite shoes." he added with a smirk.

I sucked in a breath, grimacing as I remembered the embarrassing moment, "I went for lunch with my aunt everyday. I had to subway to her law firm."

"It's nice that you're close with her," he commented, and I only nodded. I mean, yeah it was great that I had Aunt Claire, but I wish that I had my mom with me. "Why New York?"

I peered up at Aden with hard eyes, the dim lighting highlighted his sharp jawline. I involuntarily admired how his freckles complimented his nose perfectly, or how a couple rebellious strands of his hair fell over onto his forehead.

A large part of me wanted to tell him the real reason why I was here in New York, not the reason I fibbed for Josie, Paige and Esther.

I wanted to tell him everything and curl up into his arms.