Chapter 12

Thanks for still reading this book. It is indeed a miracle that you didn't stop reading in the first chapter itself.

 It is indeed a miracle that you didn't stop reading in the first chapter itself

'Versellian mythology. One where things more dangerous than death exists.'

"So, today we are going to look into the concept of disaster on the mythology. Mr. Henry, wouldn't you enlighten us with a misfortune that occurred in the mythological aspects which lead to the destruction of the earth we once had?" Sir Zeftar asked a boy who sat next to where he was standing.

"The story of the children of sun?" Henry said in an unsure tone. "The one in which the heirs died destroying the balance in which the earth stood."

"Good, Mr. Henry. You told the exact concept that I wanted to look into today. Now, this piece of mythology isn't remotely famous, let alone plausible, but that's why it is called mythology in the first place. The tale of love and hatred. Of life and death. Of hell and heaven. The story of the one true realm of god."

That set her off. Phoenix has heard this tale before, but never gave much importance to it. But now that Sir Zeftar showed some interest to the dark side of mythology she always despised, she couldn't handle it. "How could you be so sure that this is the true realm of gods. Why not the other twenty one thousand tales?" She blurted out causing everyone to face her.

"Because that is the belief. We are working on reverse psychology here. The true gods aren't known well, or so we believe. Substituting that statement to the one I told before, we could easily prove that these gods are real."

"Oh, so gods which can change form, cause chaos, join other forces, produce elemental matter and perform bad deeds are real gods? You call them that?"

Sir Zeftar should his head in an amusing gesture. "Of course, that's what the norms believe god to be. The ones who change their shape, cause chaos so that they could get whole, produce elemental matter so that they could construct the earth and perform bad deeds to punish the wrong doers. That's what they do for a living." The room erupted to laughter. "Gods shouldn't be known deeply by mortals, Ms. Topaz. That could only cause more troubles, troubles to the extend where there is no returning."

"What do you mean?" Phoenix asked back. "All your wordings contradict with one another. If this was a mathematics class, it did be easy to prove that you don't even exist in the first place."

"But this is not a math class," He said. "Now take your seat and let me go on with the lesson." She was reluctant to because no one has ever asked her to submit to other people's orders. It was one of the weirdest thing she encountered in her new path of life.

"Now, can anyone tell me the bitter truth about the Versellian mythology?" Sir Zeftar asked to the class. "Anyone?"

"Sir!" Titan called out from behind. "The notion that the god of death, one of the offspring of the sun god and the most powerful among them, was the key antagonist of this whole drama."

"Good, Mr, Shade. So, the worst thing that could happen was indeed what happened. The idea that one of the strongest, no, the strongest, turned to the ways of the evil."

"Well, god of death is supposed to be evil." Phoenix said. "That is the purpose."

"Nah, that doesn't stand true." Titan spoke up. "You see, death too has a heart. After all, death is one of the greatest blessings to the mortals, Ms. Topaz." He smiled wickedly at her, daring Phoenix to speak back. "Why would someone evil do good to the society?"

"People change. So do gods." She said in a sardonic tone. "Some show you the upper side of life while dragging you to the pit hole of darkness. It's just the factor of time."

"So, what about the god of death. Maybe he would have been more of a good man than a bad one."

"Oh yes. He was a good one and changed at the end. What difference would it make, other than betraying others trust?" Phoenix asked.

"Okay children. Get back to your seats I need to complete this lesson." Sir Zeftar's voice was heard in the background.

"You will know soon, my love."

"And so will you. The wrath I have could kill you, even if you turn out to be the god of death himself."

"It's herself, baby." Titan turned to Sir Zeftar and gave him a wide grin. "You may continue with the lesson sir; and off I go." He walked out of the room, leaving her in daze.

And it seemed like no one noticed.

"So, Mr. Lucius, answer this question, why did the god of death betray others and turn evil?"

"Better ask the god of death. The most accurate answer would come from the god." Annette said as she stood at the door, "Oh, forgot to ask permission. Can I come in?"

"Yes, and take a seat, though this may not be repeated again."

"Yes sir!"

Annette sat next to Phoenix, smiling gratefully at the sir. Now that she met both of them, Phoenix realised the striking resemblance of Annette with Titan. Are they siblings?, she wondered.

"So, back to the question I asked, Mr. Lucius, give me the answer."

The boy stood up and answered, not before adjusting his glasses, "There must have been some inferiority complex? Or even the notion that the death god was just evil from the beginning and was acting the whole time makes sense."

"What if this small part of the tale came out wrong?" Rose inquired. "What if a whole different person was the culprit of all this chaos. The chances of that occurring isn't so low."

But before Sir Zeftar could answer to her doubts the bell rang clear. Students already walked out of the class because, well, who doesn't? "Maybe we will cover that portion in the next class. Have a nice day!"

"You bet you will have a really good day, godling."