Prologue

''Mew! Mew! Wake up! Wake up!'' The sharp voice of Gulf Kanawut, my bestfriend penetrated inside my sleepy brain and my eyes shot wide open to meet a terrified Gulf Kanawut, standing beside my tiny bed in my tiny room.

''What's going on?'' I woke up rubbing my sleepy eyes with both of my twelve year old hands.

''I want you to wake up fast!" Gulf insisted jumping on the floor like an eleven year old child normally does.

''Dad's going to shout at both of us if you jump again.'' I said slowly hoping to scare him and it worked, he stopped and waited for me to get out of the bed.

I had no idea what he was doing so early in my place; it was six in the morning.

'Mew? Honey, are you okay?'' My mother, Sarah Suppasit shouted from the kitchen as I ran down the stairs to rush into the washroom without being noticed. ''Honey...why are you running?'' she asked peeping at me from the kitchen.

''Gulf is waiting.'' I said.

''Why don't you call him down and have breakfast together? Go on..call him down.''

I  ran back to my room asking him to join me for breakfast but Gulf still looked sad. Normally, Gulf was a cheerful boy and he seldom feel sad, but when he did, I understood it was serious.

Slowing down my pace, I sat down beside him on the edge of my bed and asked, ''Are you okay?''

''I am okay...but not Alexis'' said he.

Alexis, Alexandra Lexis was my other bestfriend. It had always been I, Gulf and Alexis since birth and we decided we will be together till death.

The word 'Alexis' sent a chill throughout my spine. She was a lovely eleven year old kid with a perfect family but unfortunately she was interested in taking things that did not belong to her. She had everything she wanted but she couldn't stop herself.

''Did she do it again?'' I asked, knowing that she had put herself into trouble again. Gulf nodded his head and my heart sunk low. It was not the first time Alexis did something like this. She started stealing since Grade 3 and we were now in middle school but she never changed.

I knew it was not going to be easy at school if the news spreaded everywhere in the town.

''Who caught her this time?'' I asked.

''Mandy's dad.'' Gulf sighed and my breathe hitched at the same time.

Mandy Hillson was the richest kid on the school, the most popular girl and a real meanie who had expertise in wealth. I could not believe Alexis found her guts to steal from Mandy's house. No one steals from Mandy, for her father was the Director General of police in the state.

''Oh my god.'' I lamented sitting back on the bed thinking about the humiliation Mandy would throw on the cafeteria the Monday morning.

''Something does not feel right.'' Gulf added and looked helplessly at me. ''Mandy's father took her away this morning.'' added Gulf and My hair stood at its end.

''Where!?'' my heart began to race faster and I started imagining all the dreadful things Mandy's father would be doing to Alexis. ''We gotta get to her place.'' I suggested as I moved restlessly on the room.

''She isn't there yet. '' Gulf said and I believed him. They were not only bestfriends but were next door neighbours too. ''I saw Mrs Lexis crying.'' added Gulf again and every word he said heavied my mind. ''My mum asked me to stay away from their house for a while.''

''It's gonna be alright.'' I said hugging him. Although I was only a year older than both Gulf and Alexis, I naturally took the elder brother role.