Chapter 11

As Alexis and I spend some time together, talking in senses to one another, I realized, I have not been entirely fair with Gulf either. It was true, he was a busy young man but as I contemplate more on our friendship, I had never supported him in his decision either and had always carried an unexplainable anger or disappointment against him.

It was rather confusing how much I antagonized him for having a girlfriend. If only it had been someone else and not Mandy, we would be laughing about it and hanging out together. Isn't it? I reassured myself because still, the idea of Gulf dating another girl did not sit right with me. Perhaps, it was because of the loneliness I felt when Gulf, who was supposed to be my best friend left me alone all the time.

As the morning turned into noon, Alexis and I decided to pay a visit to Gulf's place. Upon reaching his place, the first thing that caught my eyes was the old tree house in his frontyard. It made me reminisced about how easy things used to be between the three of us. We felt liberated, loved and accepted.

'Mew... Alexis'' Gulf's mother, greeted us on the door way, with her cheerful tone. ''It's been a while since we last saw you'' She said fixing her eyes at me and then to Alexis.

''It is.'' I said sincerely realizing how much I've missed her. ''Is Gulf home?"

Mrs. Kanawut took a sigh and put her hands on her hips. ''He's not here. I don't even see that boy at home these days. He left early in the morning for a game practice.'' She informed with her seemingly sensible nature.

''Thanks.'' I said, a little doubtful that there was a football practice even today.

''why don't you come in?'' Mrs Kanawut offered

''Oh, thank you...but later..We'll have to catch him first.'' I politely refused turning our back at her.

Alexis and I decided to visit the football ground and take him by surpise.

''Think he'll still be mad with us?'' queried Alexis

''I'm not sure. I said a lot of awful things to him too. It must have been hard on him.'' said I wishing I had been much more rational and less emotional.

''I feel entirely responsible.'' She chimed in.

''It is not your fault. Things just got out of hand.''

''I can't believe it's Gulf we are talking about. It's funny what six years can do to you''

''Or more like what 'growing up' can do to you. This has got to be the craziest summer ever.''

Talking, we finally reach the ground, and saw the players stretching their legs under the instruction of coach Carl. But Gulf was no where to be seen on the ground.

Surprisingly, I caught a glimpse of Mandy and her friends adjacent to us who purposefully chose to deny our existence.

''Mandy! Have you seen Gulf?'' I asked loudly while she reluctantly eyed to our direction.

''What made you think I'll tell you?'' in return she replied condescendingly and I understood Gulf must have told her everything. '' I thought we were no more kids but somebody still loves to live in those past memories. You surprised me Alex. I thought we were all grown ups.'' she continued while Alexis stayed numb.

As much as I hated dramas between girls, I had to protect my friend, hence I grabbed Alexis by her hand and left the ground.

"Please leave Gulf alone. He doesn't deserve friends like you". Mandy shouted at us and I felt the anger in her voice but I was more enraged by her bratty behavior.

" Cut it out Mandy! We have enough of you! " I snapped at her and left the ground, a little surprise at how easily I was getting emotional.

''Should you be really doing that?'' Alexis ask the moment we reached the main road. I did not know whether it was the right thing to do but Mandy's perfection was slowly getting into my nerves.

''We went to talk with Gulf, not her.'' I asserted while deep down inside I know I was just trying to prove my actions right.

''She has a right to get mad you know.'' Slowly Alexis added and I know she was right but I did not want to agree with her, not this time.

''I really don't want to talk about her anymore. ''

'' I did not know you had this much of a problem with her.''

''I don't..it's just, it's not fair how she looks at you. It's not fair how Gulf is always under her control and it's not fair how she ruins everything all the time.'' I couldn't believe what I was saying but there was so much satisfaction in telling that. Perhaps, it was the truth or perhaps my frustration overtook my patience and intelligence.

''Wow...and I thought you were the better person,'' Suddenly, an all too familiar voice chimed in from behind. I had no idea that Gulf was behind us, listening to our talk.

When I turned around, I lost my voice. ''Gulf...''

''So much for being your bestfriend huh, Mew?'' Gulf muttered, his anger more intense than our last encounter.

He then took a pause, bit his lips, shook his head in frustration and smirked slyly. ''You know what?'' He continued raising his voice, ''Stop caring about who owns me and who doesn't. It's my life and I'll deal it my own way. This is me, Mew...and if you can't fucking accept that, well then fuck this friendship!"

''Gulf.. '' I heard Alexis interrupt slowly in a feign voice. However, I was stoned. As I recall, it was the first time Gulf had talk to me with such disgrace and it hurted more than I anticipated. Gulf had never been angry at me before, at least not to this extent where he was looking at me as though he wanted to kill me.

''Look Alex, I'm sorry.'' Gulf kept talking as madness in the air thickened. ''I'm sorry I did not turn out to be the best friend you thought I was. I wish I had been better.'' said he whincing with pain, then he looked at me . ''And You...Mew, I wish I had been there for you more. But I guess I've been nothing but a mere disappointment for the two of you. "
Those were the final words he said and walked away from us.

I exceptionally went point black. He was retaliating against everything I said the previous night. How did Gulf Kanawut, My bestfriend, my childhood friend ever began to talk with me with utter disgust? I had no answers. It can't be real, I whispered as my heart shivered.

''Mew, he'll come around. Give him some time'' Alexis' mild voice entered my ears and I felt the weight of her hands on my shoulder while I stood there motionless still, analysing every words Gulf had said and left.

''Mew'' I felt a gentle shook on my body and suddenly the realization that I have lost my best friend hit me for real. ''What have I done?'' I gasped as my knee weakened and my heart dropped anxiously.

Alexis quickly pulled me in and made my face hid in her chest and wrapped my body within her arms. ''It's not your fault Mew...It's not your fault.'' She whispered and slowly rocked my body gently which made me more vulnerable and more emotional. ''Truth is, I over reacted.'' She continued and it made me sick. I cannot have her blaming herself over the matter. Because at the end of the day, each of us had grown very far apart and each of us had our own weaknesses. Perhaps, we were all just pretending to be friends; but if I was pretending, I wouldn't care so much about them nor would I be hurt to my gut.

Note:

Very roughly written. Will edit it in time 😜