Chapter 13

When Alexis and I reached the stadium, it was almost full that we ended up in the seat near the entrance door. The crowd was so loud as our college was up against the previous year's defending champions, Blackspurs.

The squads were already inside the ground while the cheerleaders had been doing their awesome job as usual. There were two minutes left before the game kicked off while, all I saw on the ground was Gulf.

Gulf was wearing his dark blue jersey written 11 on his back, white shorts, yellow socks, looking like a real soccer player. As much as I was proud and happy to see him standing there, something distracted me.

He was standing with his shoulders hang loose, a pale face and from the distance I could read by his body language that he was not in his usual form.

I feared what if 'our friendship' had been the reason. I knew he was hurt but did not know how much. I remembered how I used to call him up before every match to give away my wishes.

I would often mess with him saying, ''Gulf's on the ground just to score.'' while he would always accuse me of being his 'bad charm'. But such did not happen today, infact it had been hours since I last talked to him.

There had been days when Gulf and I carried on with our lives as if we did not exist for each other but we always had this belief that we were in good terms, hence I never felt differently. But this time, something felt so wrong and my mind was no longer in peace.

By catching the glimpse of Gulf's unhappy face, I started missing his happy smiley face, back when he was still a cute looking kid. But now, the last time he smiled was when the three of us went out for shopping. It has been too long now.

''I love you Gulf'' I heard from the girls sitting beside us. Once I glanced at them I realised they were girls from my college which made me smile at them.

''Alexis you in?'' Alicia, my classmate who was among the girls called in Alexis for cheering together with them. Alicia was usually the cheerful kind and had always been a good friend to Alex even when we were young.

''We're planning to call out their names out loud.'' she continued excitedly and I found that quite interesting. I wanted to cheer for my college team as well.

''Of course!! I'm in.'' Alexis agreed after some time.

''Great. Okay, this is what we're gonna scream first, ''Titans, Run, kick it and Win It.'' suggested Alicia who seemed like the leader among her friends. Titan was the name of our college football club.

It sounded okay hence, forgetting the one thousand crowds in the stadium, we began to exercise our throat with the following words and sometimes even called their names out. It was fun watching the game.

When the match kick off , I focussed a lot on Gulf who was on the left flank playing wide. I followed the ball as well but my concentration had only been in Gulf because he actually looked really cool in that football jersey. But at the same time, I was disturbed because he looked sluggish as if the evening sun had burned off his calories.

Minutes later, out of luck, a corner kick from Gulf allowed Troy, the Titan's captain who was a defender naturally, strike the ball into the net with the help of his head. It was a brilliant header.

The whole crowd instantly started jumping and screaming and waved off the flags followed by a chorus for the ''Titans''. But before the celebration of the goal ended, the Titans conceded one goal and it was time for the Blackspurs to wave their flags off.

''Coffee?'' Alexis asked patting on my shoulders. I had been so lost in the game, that for once, I forgot Alexis was even beside me. I smiled at her awkwardly and took the coffee she offered.