Chapter 14

The referee blew the whistle and the second half kicked off. When the match started we learnt that Gulf was already taken out of the game. I know Gulf hated rejection and there was no way a key player like him would have been substituted.

''We should go.'' I suggested remembering the back door that leads to the player's locker room. After all, it was the school I grew up in.

''I think it's best we leave him alone.'' said Alexis uncertain of what to do and I understand her stance but I know when Gulf was at his worse.

''I know what he needs when his body drops like that.'' I said to myself but rather loudly which made Alexis move from her seat.

We left the game behind and rushed out of the stadium. I did not feel like watching anymore knowing my best friend was probably having his worse nightmare.

''You sure about this?'' Alexis followed me tugging in her cotton shirt properly as we hit the back door which was actually supposed to be a secret way.

''I know the ins and outs of this place.'' said I with pride and she sniggered. ''I'm just worried about Gulf. What possibly could've gone wrong.'' I whispered while we sneak into the back door that lead to the locker room.

''He probably must be taking a shower right now.'' She guessed.

After a brief walk, we came across Gulf's locker and saw his Titan's shirt on the floor. I followed the shirt and when My eyes lifted up from the ground, It got locked with Gulf.

He was sitting on the bench with a black sleveless Jersey shirt, hands rested on his knees and palms on his forehead looking like a lost school boy.

I did not understand my feelings right then but I felt soar. I wanted to rush towards him and hug him and tell him that it was okay but I could do nothing. Instead, I cleared my throat loudly as I heard Alexis' heavy panting beside me. And I could tell, she was as troubled as I was.

Gulf looked at our direction and gave a brief stare at the two of us with a pale face. He did not react any differently but returned us a cold shoulder and pretended as if he did not see us. He then dropped his head to the floor, running his hands across his hair in frustration.

Slowly my irritation intensified at his prolonged silent treatment for it still hurts. Although there were things I told him that hurt him, I was at least trying my best to reconcile with him. But he dared not to give me even that chance.

Besides, even though, I know he was mourning over his messy game, the truth was, he was disturbed by whatever was happening between the three of us, whether he admit or not.

''You okay Gulf?'' I asked only to receive a sigh from him. It was ridiculous. I was running out of my patience and indeed frustrated but I knew throwing out my frustration would only make everything worse. Hence, I called him out softly.

''Gulf'' I called him and walked towards him, still, he did not reacted. '' It's been like 26 hours,45 minutes and 3 seconds since we last talk and I miss your annoying voice. This is really hard for me as well, Gulf'' I said looking at my wrist watch.

A brief heavy silence followed.

I watch Gulf nod his head, running his fingers over his hair and finally slighted a smile along with a loud sigh.

Instantly My heart glowed because the smile carried no sarcasm nor hate but a friendly smile, Gulf's signature smile.

''I know I said things which I shouldn't have but I was not thinking straight. I'm sorry Gulf. I'm so sorry.'' I quickly added taking the opportunity as my heart lightened and brightened.

He threw his face towards me and his eyes narrowed gently before smirking at me. ''Come Here.'' He said next standing up and stretched his hands out for me to embrace him.

I felt the real meaning of joy.

''God, thank you.'' I squeaked with mere excitment and embraced him into a tight hug, ''don't ever do that to me'' I said inhaling his scent which I had missed for so long.

He placed his chin down on my head and wrapped me around and gently rocked my body as I cherished each and every second that tick by.

''Sorry Lexie'' I heard him say slowly with sincerity in his voice as he gently let go off me and turned towards Alexis, who looked as stunned as I was.

Then, Gulf stretched out her arms towards her and smiling, Alexis jumped upon him giggling.

''Brothers before hoes.'' smeared Gulf slyly at me.

''Nah, Mandy suits you more". I said winking at him while he confusingly looked at Alexis.

"Cheer up! Cup cake. I might learn to love her". said Alexis as I watch them rekindle our friendship.

It felt surreal to watch them hug out one another but I was satisfied and proud of them.

''We should not ruin this summer anymore'' I said joining them for a group hug when suddenly Mandy's voice filled the room, "Baby...'' We immediately set ourselves free from each other and at the same time, we turned to Mandy who was standing infront of us, gasping. Her face totally went pale and her eyes widened in shook.

''I'm sorry...I should go.'' she said sounding disappointed in her voice and took a few steps back.

I felt bad for her.

I thought Gulf would stop her but he only stood there speechless biting his lower lips while his bright brown eyes suddenly sunk with pain and regrets.

Mandy was not a bad person. She had nothing to do with what her father did.

''Mandy'' I stopped her. ''Care to join for a group hug?'' I asked doubtfully not sure of how my two bestfriends would react but I knew I was doing the right thing. Mandy stared at me undecided yet astonished.

''Don't you wanna give your boyfriend a hug?'' chimed in Alexis and hearing that, I realized, finally things were settled as it should.

Gulf looked at us confusingly while we gave him our support with a simple head nod. He then gazed at Mandy, whose face was glowing in an amicable way and said, ''Come here baby.'' Immediately, Mandy squeaked excitedly and ran from the place she was standing and jumped into Gulf's open arms while he lifted her up placing kisses on her face.

And I realized how things were easier and simpler when people just gave up their own selfish desires.

''wanna clear your head off somewhere?'' I asked looking at Gulf as he picked his Jersey up from the floor.

''I still have to wait for the match to end. I had been a disappointment today. I gotta tell them sorry.'' said he sincerely putting the Jersey back into his locker.

''You did all you could.'' I said messing up his hair.

''I'm sure they'll bounce back and Lexie, sorry I sucked today.''

''I think you need to get out there and cheer for them. They need you.'' I suggested finally putting an end to my restless nerve wracking summer.

I was certain, tomorrow was going to be a better day. But was I certain?

Note: Not yet edited 🙃