Chapter 4

When I entered my home, I saw my parents together with my fourteen year old sister, Hillary watching tv. Such relaxing nights were rarely found in our family for both my parents were busy with their job while me and Hillary were busy with schools and colleges. Hence, a time like the first day of the summer vacation was the only day we could all come together and share our events.

"You're back early. How's Alexis? " Mum asked eyeing me from the sofa as I made my way to my room.

"She's very well...grown up a lot, you could say" I said stopping at the stairs.

"I thought you were going to stay late"

"I Thought so too. Her cousins are visiting her, so Gulf and I left early".

"Gulf? I haven't seen that boy for a very long time. I didn't know that the three of you were still very close". said mum staring back at the TV indicating she was more likely contemplating on her own thoughts. Hence, I continued my way to my room.

I sat down on my bed looking at the picture of I, Gulf and Alexis clicked outside our old school which was engraved in an album. I had kept the album on the table ever since I was twelve and it made me remember them in every breathe I took.  I was forever grateful to call them as my friends.

I remembered the day when our classmate, Nick bullied me by breaking my pencil and called me ''ugly''. I was always a sensitive kid and being young and helpless, all I could do was cry bitterly in the lunch table until Gulf and Alexis came to know about it. The moment my two best friends heard about it, things got ugly.

Gulf, being the carefree and the mischievous one held Nick by his uniform collar in front of all my classmates and threatened to hit him while Alexis threw down his bags on the floor, until Nick started apologizing. One could have assumed, we were bullies but it was not true. We protected each other and stood up for one another that, no one dared to mess with the three of us. But that serenity did not last for a long time when Alexis left town and Mandy became the queen bee.

However, maybe because of Gulf, Mandy never bothered me unnecessarily. We kept our distance and hence I was mostly associated with my books. Alexis would often encourage me to fight back knowing I was always a lover of peace. In a way, it was safe to say the three of us were still the same.

Still, there were times like now when it did not felt enough. It was disappointing to accept the reality that although both Gulf and Alexis were in the same neighbourhood, yet I was here, all alone, stuck in memories that happened years ago.

My quiet moment was then interrupted by a knock on my door followed by the voice of my younger sister Hillary.
''Can I come in?'' It was Hillary's cute voice and she made me wished I was fourteen again. She was pretty, tiny but very sharp. Despite having an age difference of four, we got along really well; part of it was because of my family values and the way my parents showed us to stay bonded.

I invited her in.

She pushed the door open and walked in with a dull face.

''What's that face for? '' I asked warmly trying to make her more comfortable.

''It's a lonely night.'' she said which made me laugh softly.

''You think so? Why, Mum didn't permit you sleepover?''

''I didn't felt like going.'' she answered and jumped upon my bed. I wondered whether she had some problems with her friends in school. She loved going for sleepover usually. ''I could use some time to spend with you.'' She continued adjusting herself beside me.

''Isn't my little princess all touchy today'' I said fixing my eyes at the picture of the three of us as Hillary reminded me of my school days.

''What are you looking at?'' She joined me looking at the picture of the three of us ''Did Gulf look like this when he was young?'' She asked.

''He did" I said smiling while gazing at the cute dimple formed on his baby cheeks.

''He always was good looking, wasn't he?"

"He did. You smitten with him? " I teased at her as I covered her with the blanket.

''I'm not...but my friends like Gulf a lot.'' Hearing that from my little sister dumbstrucked me. I had no idea that kids were having crushes on senior. But then again, I as a kid have had crushes on my senior before.

''But you don't?'' I asked

''I used to but not anymore.''

''Why..something happened?''

''Nothing. I just don't like him eversince he dated Mandy.'' I bet to myself that she was being innocently jealous of Mandy; Almost Everyone  in our college was jealous of Mandy.

'' But what's wrong with Mandy?'' I decided to play along with her.

''She's alright. It's just not fair how she always gets the best. You should date someone like Mandy because you are more good looking than Gulf.'' she whined and I immediately laughed out loud hearing her talk so adorably.

''I think that's true..." I said winking at her, "Thanks for the suggestion sweetheart, but do you think Mandy will like me? "

"100%"

"But is it worth risking my friendship with Gulf?" I sniggered

"Mmmm... No. I like it when You and Gulf hangs out....What about Alexis? Is she prettier now? "

I continued to chuckle at my sister's senseless whining and decided to stop playing along before her believes gets twisted.

" Alexis could have been a much better choice, but, she's taken".

"So you're the only one who is single? "

"I am, love. Isn't that cool? "

"But why? You are very good looking too." My sister insisted to a point that I could no longer mess with her.

"I'll make sure I'll find one very soon"

"Hey Mew, what if you and Gulf became a couple?"

"What!?"

"You two are equally good looking. Many girls will like it if you two start dating. "

"But we are both men! "

"It doesn't matter. My friends sometimes talks about how good will it be if you and Gulf becomes a couple".

I could not believe in my ears nor was I in a mode to continue talking about it. It was so awkward that my cheeks burned with blushes.

" Hm, I wanna keep talking to you but I think we both need to sleep"

I forced her to sleep but sleep was far gone from me as the idea of Gulf and I becoming a couple hit me in an amusing way.