Chapter 5

The next morning, when Hillary woke up, my sleep was disturbed. She always had a habit of waking up at six and would stand infront of the mirror for hours until mom calls down for breakfast. Although, we both had summer break, she still maintained her routine and woke up at her usual timing making an awful lot of disturbances for me.

I was further awakened by a phonecall as the large ringtone blasted in my ears loudly. It was around seven thirty and the call was from Alexis.

The moment I picked up the call, Alexis's warm voice greeted me beautifully.

''Morning.'' I heard her exciting voice from the other end of the line.

''Wow, someone woke up early'' I said, a little surprised.

''Not really. Just wondering what we are doing today.''

''Oh! This may sound bad but I haven't planned anything yet.'' I said yawning on the phone.

''Well freshen up first, then let me know.''

''Okay, I have a feeling I'll get some things to do from the kitchen.''

''cool! I'll wait for your call then''  she giggled softly and the call disconnected.

I woke up from the bed finally and headed down to the wash room. Mum was, finally getting done with breakfast and the moment I came out from the washroom, she assigned me for grocery shopping which was my least favourite job.

It was ridiculous for boys of my age to buy groceries and return home smelling like sweats and vegetables but I was left with no choice but to abide by the rules.

''You can take Hillary with you. She'll be alone.'' Mum suggested as our family sat round the breakfast table, as usual.

''Where are you planning to go?'' I asked looking briefly at my parents while Hillary sat making faces to me about roaming with me.

''Well, a daughter of our old friend is getting married today.'' Mum answered.

''Here?''

''In the neighboring town. It's like a three hour ride. We'll make sure we're home by eleven.'' Dad added and I saw myself that I had all the free time that day.

''Cool.''

''I've written down the list to buy and pasted on the fridge.''

''I hope it's not too much.''

"Not anything you can't handle". Mum's sarcasm was not something to be messed with.

After the breakfast, I called Alexis number and she received quickly.

''I have grocery shoppings to do.''

''Interesting. I want to  help.'' Eagerly she answered

''I have to buy a lot...you sure you won't be a nuisance?"

"Oh for goodness sake, Mew... I'm just excited to hang out with you. By the way, is Gulf coming?''

''I haven't talked with him yet. I don't expect much from him"

''Your pessimism is going to take you down the gutter someday.  Give him a call''

I wish Alexis Understood how things have drifted apart but her proposition to invite in Gulf was not out of ordinary.

When I called Gulf for the first time, he did not pick the call. I knew he was not awake. He hated phone calls on morning and never pick calls on Morning.

At my fifth call, he finally picked up with his sleepy voice.

''Are you up buddy?'' I asked.

''Why are you asking the obvious?" Grumbled he from the other end.

''Well Alexis is joining me for grocery shopping, she wanted me to invite you. Do you wanna come?''

''She wanted you to invite me..wow,  Mew... you don't want me to? You're beginning to talk like a robot now'' came Gulf's unexpected response as if he minded.

''Aren't your highness always busy with Mandy?'' I snapped.

''Always the Mandy excuse...get a new joke.''

''Just tell me,  are you coming or not?''

''I'll let you know later.''

''Grr.. That's annoying.''

''Yeah Yeah I'm not Alexis...I happen to be Gulf'

''What the hell Gulf! ''

''I saw the way you looked at her. She's no longer the kid we bade goodbye to'' he said laughing.

''Stop it Gulf Kanawut! You've gone way too far.'' I snapped harshly at him and cut the line dead.

Quickly, Gulf redialed back at me. He was being weird.

''What!'' I pick his call harshly.

''Oh come on, Mew, Can't I mess around with you sometimes? You always tease me with Mandy''

"Because she's your girlfriend".

" Well, if teasing you with Alexis is annoying for you, you're just plain stupid"

''For the one last time, Gulf, one more tease, and we are done.''

'' alright, alright... Anyway, We'll see you in fifteen minutes.'' He said, laughing.

''Which means you're coming?''

''Any regrets?''

''Damn it Gulf! Be here exactly after fifteen minutes! Bye.''

Gulf was acting weirdly mischevious that morning and I figured it had something to do with him being able to spend the night with Mandy.

I waited eagerly for my two best friends and insisted my parents to met them before they leave. I wanted to throwback all the childhood memories and made myself feel like we were kids again. My parents agreed and we all waited outside of our house in the open lawn.

Soon, Gulf and Alexis appeared on my lawn and greeted my parents, embracing each other into hugs. It felt like a good old family reunion. While my dad kept messing with Gulf, how they haven't seen him for years. They apologised for their departure and drove off.

The three of us walked inside the house together where Hillary was sitting on the couch watching her favorite channel, MTV.

''Hi Hill.'' Gulf called and the moment she looked at us, my baby sister turned nervous.

''Don't talk to me.'' she surprisingly snapped at Gulf which was rather unexpected.

''She sure hates me.'' said Gulf laughing

''No one likes you here.'' I said.

''See Alexis? That's Mew being an awful brother.'' protested Gulf

''Hillary has no problem with me, I believe.'' Alexis chimed in walking nearer to the couch where Hill sat. ''Aren't you a pretty little girl.'' she said softly and tilted Hill's chin.

''But I'm not little anymore.'' Hill responded.

''I see that. So, why are you mad at Gulf?''

''He don't like me anymore.'' Hillary honestly added and I wondered what she was upto.

''I cannot believe the two of you are choosing Alexis over me, not fair.'' Gulf dramatically complained putting his hand on his chest.

''Maybe you did not have enough time for them G.'' Said Alexis looking back at us and said calmy.

''Well, you wanted the truth". I said, mocking at Gulf, enjoying the look on his face.

''Man! Did I really mess up? How did it became three against one?'' He said scratching the back of his head while the three of us continued dragging Gulf's pride down and somehow it felt good.

He deserved to be taught a lesson and I was glad that Alexis was there with me to put some senses into Gulf. But something really different enlightened in me. I could not believe how Alexandria Lexis has grown into a beautiful, matured lady of high values. I wondered how much had changed in her and whether she had gotten over what happened six years ago.