Chapter 3

''I can't believe I am home.'' excitedy Alexis squealed as she stood on her frontyard lawn.

Mrs. Lexis was just standing on her porch when we drove up to her lawn. She wanted to pick her daughter up from the airport but it was Alexis who suggested only Gulf and I must be at the airport. Sometimes, I could feel the awkward tension between Mrs. Lexis and Alexis, but I figured everything needs their own time.

''Oh Lexie! Sweetheart, you're home.'' Joyously, Mrs. Lexis rush towards us and engulfed her into a tight long hug while, Gulf paid the driver when I took out the luggages from the taxi.

''I've missed you so much, Alex.'' I heard Mrs Lexis voice crack.

''Where's Dad?'' asked Alexis untightening the hug.

''He's on his way home from your cousin's.'' Mrs Lexis excitedly answered rubbing her tears away.

''Mum, Gulf and Mew...'' Before Alexis completed her sentence, Mrs. Lexis happily fixed her teary eyes at us and mouthed ''Thank you". She then put her arms around her shoulder and invited us into the house.

Gulf and I looked at each other, exchanging a brief smile wondering at Mrs. Lexis overdriving emotion and followed the mother and daughter into the house. She had beautifully decorated the kitchen with beautiful dishes including Alexis' old time favourite: cheese and Marconi. The table looked like a feast.

Before anything, Alexis excused herself for a shower while Mrs Lexis requested us to help her arrange the dinner table because a lot of their cousins were coming home for dinner.

''Have you guys been visiting home often?'' asked Alexis coming out from the bathroom and joined us in the kitchen as the smell of sandalwood tickled my nose.

Once I looked up at her, I realized how good she actually looked with the towel wrapped around her wet hair and how pretty she has became. Her voice was alluring and the way she carried herself was very elegant and classy that I could not keep my eyes off her.

''What are you staring at?'' mumbled Gulf behind my ears and hit my shoulder making me realized I had been staring at her for a while.

There was no doubt that she could become the most popular girl; perhaps even more than Mandy if she was in my college.

''Well, Gulf had been visiting frequently and have helped us all the time'' answered Mrs. Lexis while arranging the plates on the table and it shocked me. Did it mean, Gulf had been acting like a jerk only to me?

''That's cool G.'' Alexis replied smiling and pulled out a chair from the table.

''He really cares a lot about you.'' continued Mrs Lexis shoving Gulf's hair gently while I stood amazed. I thought Gulf did not had time for Me and our friendship. Maybe he did not had the time only for me. He was actually a Sweetheart in front of Alexis.

''Well. Mew was the one who kept reminding me to always check in and keep in touch.'' Gulf said. True, I have been telling him to visit the Lexis because they were his neighbor but wait, was he acknowledging me? I was left speechless. Perhaps, he was not full of himself like I assumed he was.

''They've been like family eversince you left.'' said Mrs Lexis

''Well, that's why they are my bestfriends.'' Alexis said proudly looking at I and Gulf briefly, still with a smile plastered across her thin, beautiful, face.

When we finished our late luch in about four in the evening, Alexis took the boots out and serenaded Gulf while she threw me a latest edition of wireless ear piece, a very priced one. I was glad she cared about our interests; I was a huge fan of music while Gulf was crazy about football and could not stop being happy about the new boots on his feet. In fact, it was the happiest Gulf, I saw in years.

In about six, when Mr. Lexis returned along with his sibblings, Gulf and I left her house knowing a lot of family gathering had been planned because of Alexis' arrival. Although she looked tired, she didn't have a choice.

''Shall I walk you home?'' Gulf joked on reaching the mid way to my house. It caught me off by surprise when Gulf suddenly became considerate until I remembered that Mandy's house was on the way to my house. Sometimes, I wished he would just hang out with me even without a purpose but that would mean the present Gulf would stop existing.

''It's not like I've never walked alone before.'' I snapped sarcastically. ''So don't worry about me. Why can't you just be honest and spill the fact that you want to meet Mandy'' I added while Gulf walked quietly without a word for a while.

''Ah, Mew, do you have any idea how Mandy nags worse than you? Atleast be my best friend and support me'' His answer made me laugh and I could tell, he was no longer free but bounded. If I was in a relationship, may be I'd have changed too and would have restrained my freedom. Hence, I understood Gulf's priority.

''Gulf, you really should go and meet Mandy... But you've gotta tell Alexis the truth before it gets any worse. ''

''I will..but not now... Now's not the right time. "

"If you can't bring up yourself to say, I can help".

" No, I'll tell her...just give me some time". For the first time, I saw Gulf's fear in his eyes as he spoke and I realized, he really cherished and cared about his friendship with Alexis and it really made me happy.

''As much as stupid as you can be, I'm not turning my back at you...just go ahead with your date, otherwise Mandy won't be so kind. '' I said pushing his shoulder slowly, making him smile.

Although we were not as close as before, I wanted him to be happy and supported and accepted him the way he was.

''I'll come till your home tonight...what kinda bestfriend would I be if I let my bestfriend walk home alone.'' He joked putting his hands around my shoulder and I did not protested because it was how bestfriends were supposed to be.

''Now you're talking senses.'' I cooed as we chuckled softly.

That night, Gulf indeed dropped me till home.