jack

"hey, calling cause I need to know where you're at, football game starts in 20 minutes" I said in my voice mail, guys giving me weird looks, "she should be here soon" I told daniel as he gave me a nod, "traffic" he said and I nodded.

"or she didn't come" someone said, daniel hitting his shoulder, I looked to my locker as I put my phone up. it was the first time y/n skipped out on something she said she'd come to, everytime I asked her come to something, she says she's excited and going and then that day, I can't get ahold of her and she doesn't show up.

like tonight, she said she was coming down from the college to see me play, she was excited to cheer me on, I texted her this morning and nothing, texted her at lunch... nothing, then she didn't show up.

when I woke up the next morning, the text I got was:

"sorry baby, got caught up at school, was going to text you but forgot.. love u" I rolled out of bed, not texting back and getting in the shower, it's not the first time she used that excuse, it was literally like she copy and pasted it.

———
"is y/n coming for homecoming?" ava asked me, "uh.. yeah" I told her as I got a shirt out of the dryer "what?" she asked me, seeing the hint of disbelief on my face, I shook my head "nothing" I told her.

"jack you can talk to me" she said, "nothing ava" I said and pulled my shirt on, "come on, we're going to be late" I told her as I grabbed my car keys.

the truth is.. I didn't know if she was coming, she told me she was but like normal, I can't get ahold of her, ive called her and texted. it's like she falls off the face off the earth, recently even if there isn't a dance or a football game, she just doesn't text me, doesn't pick up my calls.

all night, I sat and watched my sister danced with her boyfriend, y/n still not texting me. I rolled my eyes, walking over to ava and telling her I was leaving, she was getting a ride home from a friend.

once I got home, I showered and called her again, straight to voicemail "call me, I need to know you're alright, i'm not mad you missed homecoming... wish I knew you didn't want to go before I bought the clothes and everything, bye" I said.

———
"are you sure you can make it?" I asked her as we walked around the mall, "babe of course, i'm not going to miss your last prom" she said giving me a kiss, "it's just you've said the same thing before" I told her and she gave me a look.

"I know and i'm sorry" I nodded "i don't want to waste money, cause I only go to prom because you like dressing up" I told her and she smiled, giving me a kiss, "I promise" she told me, as I haven't heard it before.

the day of prom... nothing and I was stood there like an idiot once again, I left early, my family looking at me weird as I walked in, "jack?" my mom asked as I just walked upstairs. There was a knock on my door, "yeah" I said, it opened and in walked sydnie "what's up" she asked me.

"she said she was coming" I told her and she nodded, "she didn't show" I shook my head, "I don't know anymore" I told her as she rubbed my back.

———
"hey babe, graduation starts in an hour, was wondering if you made it home yet... love you" I said to her voicemail, I wasn't expecting her to show up, this past year we've been through our fair share, but maybe she'll come.

as I walked across the stage, no sign of her, I wasn't letting her ruin this day for me, she didn't go on so many dates, she ditched me to go to parties when I went up there to visit her, she isn't the same.

after my party, I laid down to get some sleep, my phone rang, without looking who it was I picked up, "hello?" I asked, "jack" she answered crying, "jack I need help please" she told me "what's wrong, where are you" I asked her sitting up in bed.

"i'm dying" she told me, "baby what?" I asked her, confused, scared "I did too much" she said and the line went dead. my heart was racing, I check her location, she was still at school, I call her parents.

———
"baby" I said walking into the hospital, "oh jack please no" she said crying, "get out" she told me, I gave her parents a confused look as my sister grabbing my hand and walked out of the room with me, I could hear her crying.

"what's wrong with her?" I asked her sister "she od last night" she told me, "od- like drugs, what?" I asked her, "meth" she told me "when?" I asked "someone got her hooked up at school, we've known she's been weird this past year but we didn't think it was this" she said explaining.

I couldn't hear anyone, I couldn't think, all this time I thought she was doing it because she didn't want to be with me anymore but now I know it was because she was suffering and I was too selfish to see it.

I walked into her room, her arm having needle holes in it, I walked over to her and grabbed her hand "i'm sorry" She said, already tears coming down her cheek "why didn't you tell me?" I asked her "because I thought I could fix it myself" she told me and I nodded.

"even when you think you can do it by yourself just know you can fix it better with someone else" I told her, she nodded "i love you" I told her.

the day her parents call to tell me she past away cause of the drugs, was the day I dead inside...