the help- daniel

The seavey's were my favorite people, they were always so welcoming and always let me eat dinner with them after I was done serving, as they did everyone who worked for them.

they spent their summers here and we were all hired for that time, my mom was their cook when I was younger, I had played around the house with their youngest kids, anna and daniel, then as I got older I started helping in the kitchen, learning to cook and how to properly do certain things, like pick fruits from the garden.

Daniel and I kinda had a thing last summer, we slept together and when they went back home, he would call me whenever he had the chance, promising to take me out on dates when they came for the summer. after my mom past two years again, I took over the kitchen, and every year daniels mom calls and offers the job to me, which I always take.

daniel hasn't been calling, I didn't take offense but when I saw his mom name on my phone, I didn't know if I should take the job, I need the extra money as I'm wanting to save up to buy my own cafe.

so I took the job, I texted daniel and told him I would be his cook this summer, and the only thing I got back was, read at 12:34 pm.

———
I was setting up lunch, getting everything the way I know they like it, having cups set out and the food all cooked but not plated till it's asked for, as i'm sure they'd like to put their things away before eating.

I heard the door open, I was still caught up making desert so I didn't hurry to meet them as some of the others did. "y/n" someone said, I turned to see anna "hey" I said giving her a hug, "I had to come see you before anyone else did" she said giggling, I smiled and turned back to the dish "how was your flight?" I asked.

"hot" she told me "this year is pretty hot" I said and she giggled, "well i'm going to unpack, I cannot wait to eat what you've cooked, smells amazing" she said, I gave her another hug as she left to get to her room. I walked out to where I heard talking, "y/n, it is nice to see you" their mom said, I smiled and hugged her "whenever you're ready for food, it's all prepared" I told her and she nodded.

as I was about to walk in the kitchen, daniel walked through the front door, with a pretty girl on his arm, my smiled faded a bit as I saw her. she had this bitchy look on her face, "take my bags to daniels room" she told me, "babe that's the cook" daniel said, not looking at me.

ouch... the cook!

"y/n, her names y/n" his mom said and I nodded, walking back into the kitchen, god he's a bit of an ass now.

———
as I was cleaning up dinner, I heard someone walk in the kitchen, "y/n" I turned to see daniel, sitting on the counter, "hey" he said, I turned to him, "i'm cleaning" I said, in the most cold way I could. "woah" he said, hands in the air "unless you want something to eat, could you please leave?" I asked him, he stood up and walked over to me.

"are you mad about me not texting you back, of course I knew you'd be working for us again, we love your food" he said and I rolled my eyes, "i'm just the cook, i'm trying to do my job, so please... if you don't mind let me get back to it" I said and he nodded, grabbing an apple and walking out of the kitchen.

when I turned back around, his dad was in the doorway, "hello mr.seavey" I said, "please call me jeff, you know this" he said and I nodded, "yes sir" I told him. "don't hurt yourself over him, you're a beautiful girl" he told me and I nodded.

———
behind his girlfriends back, while she was at the river or jogging, daniel would come sit in the kitchen with me, help me cook, have food fights with me. one evening he even helped me serve the food then clean, he did the dishes and I cleaned off the counters.

it's been like this for months and he has me falling for him again, my stupid self...

"uhhh y/n right?" his girlfriend asked walking in the kitchen, "yes, what can I get you?" I asked her "stop messing with daniel, he's mine" she told me, daniel standing in the doorway behind her, "um.. we're just friends, have been since we were younger" I told her and she rolled her eyes, he walked off.

"could I get you something to eat?" I asked her, "yeah cause that's your job, you work for him, remember that.. he won't ever leave me for trash" she said and I nodded, holding back tears "what could I get you?" I asked her as she had a smirk on her face "one of your tarts" I nodded.

———
"y/n, thank you for dinner" jeff said, being in the last of the plates, "I would have gotten these" I told him and he shook his head, no need" he said and walked out. I grabbed the plates and put them in the sink, I heard the door shut, thinking it was the wind I payed no attention as I started washing the dishes.

someone grabbed my hips, turned my body around, I was now face to face with daniel, he kissed me. I pulled back "i'm sorry, you have a girlfriend and i'm not that type of person" I told him, he kissed me again "you are so much more than just the help or just the cook, I left her. put her on a plane back to her hometown and I want you, ive wanted you since i've met you y/n" he told me.

"now move, i'll do the dishes" he said as I stood there shocked, he smiled at me as he took the scrubber, I turned his cheek back to me, kissing him "thank you" I told him, "i'll always pick you" he told me.