Chapter 18: Laying Low

Can't say that I thought through this chapter well... but I tried.

Any better Titles?

I'll try to get more of the Scooby gang in the next chapter.

Maybe... not entirely sure
~~~~~~~~~

"So let me get this straight. The answers to your problem is the Doppelganger's blood?" Henrik says looking at his big brother as he was leaning against the side of a car next to Rebekah, who was sitting on the hood.

"A thousand years in the grave and she's still screwing with you," Rebekah says to Nik as his back faces them.

"Well, it makes sense if you think about it from her perspective." Nik turns towards them. "It was her failsafe in case I ever broke the hybrid curse. The doppelganger had to die in order for me to become a hybrid, but if she was dead..."

"Then you couldn't use her blood to sire yourself a new species." Rebekah finishes for him.

"Leaving me alone for all time." He says looking at his feet.

"Come on, Nik. Don't think about that." Henrik says to his brother. "You've still got us. Though I can't really speak for the other three."

"But you've got to stop being such a prat and not drag us around if you're going to go on your conquest to sire hybrids. Remember what happened last," Henrik reminds him.

"Bloody hell, not this," Klaus says under his breath.

"What happened last time?" Rebekah asked her brothers, looking back and forth between them.

"Want to tell her or should I?" Henrik suggests.

"I rather not speak of it, Henrik."

"Well, it was by far not the second time I died since being brought back from the dead," Henrik admitted.

"Say what," Rebekah says baffled at hearing her baby brother had been killed more than once since his original death a thousand years ago.

"Ohh, I forgot I hadn't completely explained what happened since my death in the 10th century," Henrik says grimly to his sister.

"Your story can wait until we leave this town. Why don't you two get the truck? I'll get Elena." Klaus tells his younger siblings. Not saying a word, Rebekah slides off the hood of the car and walks off to get the truck as Henrik remains where he is. "What is it now, Henrik?"

"You've got something of mine, Nik." Henrik tells him and earning himself a questioning look from Klaus. "The wooden wolf you carved for me when I was 6. Can I have it back now?"

"Oh, this little trinket," Klaus says taking the centuries-old toy out from his pocket. "When I saw you, I wasn't sure if I was being played but this confirmed it."

Klaus hands it over back to his brother. "I'm surprised you kept it with you all this time."

"Have to something to remind myself of my family. Other than us hiding in those caves," Henrik said as he rubs his finger against the head of the wolf. "I'll go find Bekah now."

With that Henrik leaves his brother seemly alone to find his sister.

~~~~~

"I can't believe him! I can't believe he left us behind," Rebekah complains to her baby brother as they went around the town buy stuff or rather compel.

"I know that, dear sister. You've been saying that all morning," Henrik yawns before taking a sip from his coffee. "And here I thought you would like being yourself without Nik around." He mutters.