twenty-four

"n-no, you're lying," aera stuttered as she clenched her fists.

"i'm not and i'm so fucking sorry aera. i was hurt and i let my emotions take over me. i told soobin i'd pay him whatever money he needed if it was successful. i'm an asshole, i know—"

"please stop talking mark. please just stop," aera breathed out shakily as she stood up from her seat.

"aera.."

"i'm sorry mark. just, leave me alone for a few days. i don't know what the fuck i'm supposed to feel anymore," aera stated as she packed her belongings.

"i will. i just want you to also know that soobin told me to hear you out. i genuinely think that he really likes you aera—"

"well i don't think he does after what you just told me. it's one thing to try and protect the people who you love; it's another thing when the people you tried protecting hurt you without understanding that the things you do are for a good reason," aera shot back harshly as she wiped her falling tears away.

mark knew he had lost and hung his head low in shame. aera took this as her cue to leave the ice cream parlour as she dialled jaemin's number.

"jaemin?" aera called out with shaky breaths as she sniffled.

"aera? what's wrong?" jaemin asked concerned once he had picked up the call.

"i really need you and jeno right now," aera said before breaking down into silent cries.

-

once aera had reached jeno's house, the boys immediately engulfed her in a tight embrace; allowing her to cry out her broken feelings.

"what happened?" jaemin asked worriedly as they sat in jeno's cozy living room sofa.

aera began opening up ever since her situation with mark to her current situation with both soobin AND mark.

the brunette girl kept hiccuping and sniffling in between words as she tried to hold everything together.

jeno and jaemin looked at each other with wide eyes as they comforted their best friend who was currently facing heartbreak.

"aera.." jeno started off while jaemin vigorously shook his head at jeno, signalling him not worsen the situation.

"what now?" aera looked at both her best friends with her red, puffy eyes after noticing jaemin's obvious body language.

"we knew about it. i'm sorry to admit this but i thought you deserved it when i heard about mark's plan. you didn't tell us the truth about what happened with mark," jeno said guiltily as jaemin hung his head down in shame as well.

aera slowly let herself go from her best friends embrace and scoffed out angrily.

"a-and you just let me get hurt?" aera choked back on her tears as both boys stood up trying to explain themselves.

aera shook her head sadly and barged out of jeno's house, leaving the boys feeling empty and guilty for allowing their best friend to get hurt.

"she probably hates us now huh?" jaemin said sadly as he brushed off a tear that escaped his eye.

jeno remained silent and quickly went on his phone to message aera.

☕️ JAEMIN THE SCIENCE BITCH 🧪

AERA left the group chat

jeno sighed out in frustration and quickly went on to message her privately.

JENO
aera please don't be mad at jaemin

be mad at me

we didn't know what happened last year so we assumed it was ur fault

but u told us the real truth and we believe u

aera please don't do anything stupid

where are u?

aera i'm sorry

[seen]

"fuck," jeno muttered as he quickly dialled yeonjun's number.

"yeonjun!" jeno called out once his call was picked up.

"what do you want grandpa looking headass," yeonjun yawned groggily over the phone.

"where does soobin live?" jeno asked desperately causing jaemin's head to perk up.

"um, i don't know but i know where he works?" yeonjun stated in confusion.

"well? where the fuck does he work?" jeno began raising his voice.

-

"soobin, someone wants to see you. it's urgent," soobin's co-worker called out from the cashier.

soobin tilted his head in confusion and stopped kneading the bread dough in front of him and peeked outside the kitchen.

"oh, jeno! nice seeing you here. hey jaemin," soobin greeted as he walked towards them but the two boys looked at him with guilt and desperation.

"soobin, we can't find aera," jaemin spoke up.

"what do you mean? she just went home," soobin said as he furrowed his brows.

"soobin, she knows about it," jeno finally admitted.

soobin felt the warmth in his heart disperse and was instead replaced with the guilt he tried so hard to bury deep inside of him.

soobin quickly took of his apron and handed it to jaemin before disposing of the gloves he wore.

"i'm going to find her. thanks jaemin, you look like you know how a kitchen operates. i'll pay you back," soobin said as he rushed out of the bakery.

he had to find her. he had to.

he couldn't let his angel go.

he had to tell her that his feelings towards her were real. he had to let her know.

-
i'm crying as i write down the next chapter