twenty-eight

soobin's heart was racing. he was anxious with how things would turn out that day.

he was sitting in her living room alongside jeno and jaemin, who bickering to ease their nervousness.

"shut up jeno, we all know i look like the blue lizard from frozen 2!" jaemin argued with jeno, who only rolled his eyes.

"you look like a grandpa," jeno snickered as he motioned to how jaemin's hair was parted in the center.

jaemin glared at jeno before ruffling his hair.

"how do you feel soobin?" jeno asked the quiet boy who sat anxiously beside them.

"i don't know how to feel, i don't even know why i love her," soobin mumbled while he fidgeted with the plastic bag full of bread for aera.

jaemin simply wiggled his brows at the two boys who only looked at him weirdly.

"stop it jaemin,"

"what?"

"you know something,"

"pFt, what would i, a peasant know of love?" jaemin smirked as his eyes widened when he motioned to the bag of bread soobin held.

jeno's face scrunched up in confusion at jaemin's antics. jaemin's bopped his head in a weird way towards the bag of bread, his eyes still wide.

"oh my god jaemin, what the fuck is it?" jeno screeched at jaemin who screeched at the same time.

soobin, on the other hand, was just drowning out their nonsense.

he had to admit that he had fallen for aera. he missed her smile and how warm she made him feel.

it stunned him how a girl was able to change his idea of the world; she didn't give up on his cold exterior and managed to pull out his warm self.

"hi guys," aera's voice rang in soobin's ears as he snapped out of his thoughts.

"my darling!" jaemin screamed before engulfing aera into a tight embrace before rambling his sincere apologies.

"i'm sorry aera! i'm sorry for being jeno's side dick and for not telling you about it sooner!" jaemin rambled and earned a slap on the back from jeno.

aera hugged jaemin back and chuckled at his way of apologising.

jaemin beamed brightly with tears trickling down his face as he pulled away from their embrace.

"hey aera," jeno started as he stood in front of aera.

aera bit her lip nervously. jeno and aera were not good with apologies. whenever they fought, jaemin would always be the one pushing them to talk.

so it felt tense as both friends tried finding the right words to say.

"i'm sorry,"

"i forgive you,"

the both of them started at the same time before chuckling. aera spread her arms out wide while jeno just shook his head and embraced aera in a hug.

"come back to school aera," jeno mumbled as they pulled away from their embrace.

"i'm back on monday," aera said only causing her best friends to squeal.

"finally! aera, you don't know how tired i am of jaemin's face-"

"where's soobin?" jaemin cut jeno off after seeing the bag of bread left on the table.

"what do you mean?" jeno asked before looking around.

aera bit her lip anxiously and sighed sadly. soobin had left while the golden trio reunited.

his reason?

seeing aera look fragile because of him. how she beat herself up about what he did to her.

seeing her tired under eyes and how much weight she had lost. his sweater draped over her small body, her skin paler than usual.

he was afraid his presence alone would break her again.