24

I let myself in my apartment, lugging my heavy suitcase in behind me.

Simone's at work. She came home a few days before I did. Her work is a little stricter on holidays than mine; I guess that's the awesome part of having a boss who is also one of my best friends.

I just couldn't bear to leave Ethan, and he wasn't so keen on letting me go either.

Pulling my phone out of my pocket, I stare down at his last text; the one I received the moment I was settled in my first class seat on the plane to bring me home:

Just think about it please. I love you so much. I want you in my life, permanently. I want to wake up every day with you beside me.

...

"Don't go," Ethan whispered, holding my face in his hands.

"I have to. I've got work to do at the magazine, and you've got promo for the tour to do ... and I'm sure you need to go into the office to check up on the label ... baby, it's only for a week and then we'll be back together," I added, staring up at his sad eyes.

"It's one hundred and sixty eight hours without you," Ethan sighed.

"Did you just work that out in your head?"

He nodded.

"Smarty pants."

"Stop changing the subject."

I hooked my fingers into his T-shirt. "It's not a long time and then we'll be back together."

I don't mean that. It feels like it's going to be forever, especially when he just broke it down into hours like that.

But we've been in each other's pockets far too much recently, and I don't want Ethan to get bored with me. The distance will make him miss me, make him want me more.

Or get lonely and go looking in search of comfort elsewhere.

I quickly shut out that thought, and my stupid irrational side.

The time apart will be good for us.

Ethan stared into my eyes, his hazel ones caressing my soul, and I could feel myself faltering, weakening to his plea.

No. Be strong, Emma. It's only a week.

No, it's one hundred and sixty eight hours...

"I'll miss you, baby," I said forcing my strength. "So much, but we both have to work." I reached up on my tiptoes and kissed his lips.

"Move in with me."

What?!

"What?" I leant back away from his face, resting down onto my unsteady, heeled feet, searching his expression.

"I've spent long enough without you in my life, Emma, and I won't do it again. Come and live with me in LA. Move in with me."

I run my finger over the screen on my phone, staring at his message again.

...

"Ethan, this is crazy! We can't move in together!"

"No, what's crazy is that I'm standing in an airport saying goodbye to you again."

"This isn't the same as back then. We're not fourteen anymore. We're not going to lose each other. I'm yours and you're mine, and that's never going to change." I held my friendship bracelet up to him as proof of this. "I'm just going to work for a little while, and then we'll be back together when I fly out in a week. You're only asking me to move in with you as a knee jerk, because of how you feel right now about being away from me."