11: Muscle Memory is a Wonderful Thing

"Well, then I'm holding you to it... Some other time."

Frank sucked in a breath as he leaned forward in his desk chair, fingers steepled as he listened to Gerard's voice on the recorder, his earbuds in, Gerard's voice right in his head. He frowned, finding his cheeks warming up at the undertone in the Congressman's voice. He closed his eyes, ignoring his work surroundings as he thought back to that Monday- it was now Friday- and he felt his stomach clench.

"Oh, I have no doubt that America is going to end up seeing the same conditionary circumstances. It's almost inevitable which is rather unfortunate, to say the least. It does happen every few decades because the countries in question start to see a stagnancy or even a decline and it affects a lot more than people want to realize or admit. Especially if, in this instance, it will hit the medical profession harder than the rest and it will definitely affect not only the civilians but the Congress." Gerard's voice was slightly static over the recording but still as silky and smooth as dripping honey, Frank could picture Gerard's intensely watchful gaze over the rim of his black sunglasses. Frank was so engulfed by the sound that he barely noticed his phone vibrating in his pocket, thrumming lazily against his thigh. He felt a poke on his arm and he jumped, pulling the earphones out, turning to see Danielle Ross- Ryan's mom and editor standing there.

"Your phone, Frank." She smiled and Frank realized she was right, the generic ringtone chiming from within its denim confines. He leaned over, pulling the device from his pocket, noting a number he didn't recognize.

"Frank speaking, hello?" He replied and looked up at Ryan's mom standing there expectantly, most likely wanting to discuss his article.

"Frank." Gerard's voice replied and Frank felt his heart skip in his chest and he bit his lip, "How are you?"

"I'm- I'm great, thanks. How's the campaign?"

"I'm in the lead so far." Gerard stated and Frank couldn't help but smile, "Listen, dear boy, I know it's short notice but do you think you can squeeze me in today? I need to see you."

Frank sucked in a breath at the way Gerard had spoken, making something light up in his lower stomach that was anew that he didn't recognize. He glanced up at the clock on the wall, "Yeah I have a lunch break now."

"Perfect, where do you work?"

Definitely not.

"Oh uh- We can meet at the coffee shop down the street from me if that's okay with you."

"Nice of you for asking." Frank could almost hear the smirk in Gerard's voice, almost like a curling infliction in the end of his sentence, "Which coffee shop will that be?"

"Cafe Rossini." Frank smiled, "On Smith street."

"Oh, that's a lovely place. Great cake." Gerard replied, "I'll see you there."

"Okay, sir." Frank found himself replying before he cringed at himself. He heard Gerard hum low on the end of the phone before hanging up and he sighed, setting his phone down, exhaling a breath he didn't know he was holding.

"And that?" Danielle asked, "You know how we feel about personal calls."

"It was Congressman Way; he wants to see me. Probably saw my article in yesterday's paper."

"It was a fantastic article, Frank." Danielle smiled, "Hubby and I are very impressed with it, I love your questions. Very relevant, very now, and very important for the community. I'm so glad Ryan got you that interview."

"So am I." Frank whispered as he turned in his desk chair, excitement bubbling in his stomach, "So am I."

~