33: Accidentally Unearthed in the Depths of the Internet

Twenty minutes after Frank had finished a section of his contract, he already found this all a little harder than it actually looked. When Gerard had told him how it would be, he had honestly assumed that the easiest part would be walking on Gerard's right, and always a step behind. It really seemed so easy in theory, but when he actually had to do it, Frank found himself struggling.

After he had been calmed, Gerard had excused himself for a few minutes, more than likely telling Derek or Lindsey that they would be out. Frank had been standing, unable to sit back down because he felt so unnerved in his own skin. It had been easy leaving the office once he had calmed down enough because it was only a short distance from where they had been to the car outside, but once they out of the car and heading to where they were going to be eating, that was when Frank found himself feeling like he hadn't walked before. He was stumbling over his own two feet and he hated how he hadn't picked this up as quickly as he thought he would. Frank found himself concentrating on walking more than he usually would while he kept his eyes down. He tried to focus on his steps and pay more attention to his own footing. Gerard walked so much more confidently than he did and Frank found it a little unnerving, especially when he didn't want to annoy Gerard. He could do this; it was just a matter of adjusting. that's all. He realized he was practically lined up with Gerard, mentally cursing before he slowed down again to stay behind him.

"Are you okay, boy?" Gerard queried curiously. Frank heard the question, his head snapped up and he saw Gerard looking over his shoulder at him.

"M'good, sir." Frank nodded as he looked back down, paying close attention to his feet, listening to the sound of Gerard walking on the pavement, trying to match up with his steps. Frank didn't want Gerard to notice that he was struggling. He wanted to believe that he wasn't getting worked up over this, but internally he was. Inside his head, Frank found himself worrying about this more than he thought. Frank found himself tripping a little when they turned a corner, blushing at how ridiculous he probably looked. Nobody was looking at him, Gerard included, thank God, but he swore that so many eyes were on him.

"Perhaps you are completely overthinking this whole 'walking one step behind me' part of the relationship," Gerard commented without looking back. Frank's cheeks went warm, realizing that Gerard was onto him. Frank opened his mouth to respond but thought against it because he hadn't actually been given permission to talk. At least Frank had a good understanding of that part of the contract.

"You don't have to literally walk one step behind me, sweet boy." Gerard continued as he finally looked back at Frank, his gaze softer than Frank had expected. He thought that Gerard would have been annoyed at him, "It's just a general idea. As long as you are close behind then you really don't need to worry too much about how many steps are between yourself and I."

"Oh," Frank breathed out, feeling himself relax almost instantly, "Thank you, sir."

"You're most certainly welcome," Gerard responded, "I don't want you over-complicating something as simple as this. I know you can do this, rather well as a matter of fact... You just need to not think about this so literally. Now, another point, it is polite and courteous for the sub to hold doors open for their Master." Frank saw where they were once Gerard had spoken and he stepped ahead toward the door, holding it open.

"Thank you, boy," Gerard spoke as he took a step into the restaurant. Frank followed behind him, a little more relaxed this time, before Gerard spoke again, "You will get the hang of this, I'm sure of it."

"Of course, sir."

"Now, once we are seated, it is also customary for you to pull my chair out for me and wait for me to be seated before you take your own seat." Gerard put his hands in his pockets and looked sideways at Frank, "At what side?"