21. One More River to Cross

Kaylan's POV

The closing bell rang, today had nothing much to offer. I had picked up my bags and I was heading home ASAP. My mom had already sent a text of their arrival.

"Kay-baby, we've arrived safely so I need you home ASAP. We have good news". - Mom.

The good news part that got me hooked. What actually was the good news? I'll probably just wait till I get home but I wasn't ready for my dad to start telling me about the sermon they had.

I was at the parking lot already and I was about to open the door of my car when another strong hands pushed it back close, making me turn around to see Nick Sanders, in all his beauty.

"Going home without telling your boyfriend goodbye, huh?". Nick's husky voice spoke.

"Umm, you know we didn't have much class together today and besides my parents are already back home, so they need me ASAP". I tried to explain.

"I get it but you've been acting quite strange today, is anything wrote?". Nick asked looking so concerned.

I haven't been myself since last night. With Cassie's drama and also Cassie spilling that the Sanders are real bad people. I didn't know who I was going to trust and believe at the moment.

I look at those beautiful gray eyes and lied. "I'm fine Nick, there's nothing wrong".

"You're lying Kay. I know when you're lying". Nick bent over to me to look me straight in the eyes. "What's wrong, I'm your boyfriend and I don't bite".

"Fine. It's just that I don't know much about you, Nick". I was sincere.

"Oh Kay, there's nothing much to know about me".

"I knew that was what you were going to say". I was disappointed.

"Okay fine, what do you want to know?". He asks.

"Did your parents live in Crest Ville for long?". I asked. I didn't even reason the question.

"Yeah. They did". He answers and I was sure that was genuine.

"Did you and your brother grow up in this town?".

"My brother did but I didn't".

"Why did you not grow up here, at least I would have known you".

"I was staying with my aunt, few towns away, then I had a scholarship for throughout my junior and senior year for the boarding school". His eyes couldn't be more genuine.

"Was it Aunt Liz?". I asked.

"No, her name was Meredith Sanders". His voice was low now,like bad memories had crept in.

"Is she dead?". I asked sadly.

"That's what we all think but her body was never found for four years now". He's voice broke sadly.

Oh God! I shouldn't have brought this up.

"I'm so sorry, I shouldn't have taken you down memory lane". I was sad too.

"I get it Kay. It's not bad having trust issues".

"I won't say trust issues, Nick. Probably confirmation issues". I didn't know the right words to use.

"Did anyone spill shit about me?". He asked furiously.

"No, no- one. Not at all". That wasn't quite a lie.

"Okay. I guess you should start going before your parents start to worry about their baby girl". Nick says with a grin.

"Yeah". I smile.